Time left




Saturday, May 12, 2018

ST14R3 Reviews - Tom Giarrosso

Once again, I’ve listened to theses a number of times in the car commute, as well as at the Listening Party. Same rules apply - I ranked for replayability and how well the challenge was accomplished, and reranked towards the end of the week as things grew or didn’t grow on me.



Temnere - Revolution
From the driving drums to the metal riffs, this one caught my attention. Sweet, building from the pre-chorus to the vocals in the chorus. I liked this one a lot.

Edric Haleen - With You
This one is right in Edric’s wheelhouse. The emotion and range hits all the right notes. 
The synth strings do set the mood.

Micah Sommersmith - I Sing for Clara
It’s not easy to get melancholia out of an accordion, but I think you've managed it 
Another tune that I kept playing all the way through in the car. 

Governing Dynamics - Forty-Five
I liked the new guitar tone. Also the vocal doubling. Works better the more you hear it.  I think Travis has the Tom Petty effect down pat.

Bubba and the Not So Amiable Kraken - Revolutionary Love
I liked the unconventional drums and the lyrics popped as a crazy love story. The chorus was odd, but the hook stuck in my head - so you got replay ability out of it. Nice piano run at the end. 

Megalodon - Magpie 
Nice guitar work! You seem to hit the tone of the old and modern and make it work together. 
I liked it.

Boy on the Wall - Yesterday
I don’t know if it was the minor key choice but this one just didn’t hit me. I liked the synth horns. but it just didn’t feel as strong as the other entries.

Jordan Carroll - Work It
I wasn’t expecting a smoky, dialog driven song. Surprising on several levels, in a good way. Dripping with attitude.

Glen Raphael - Yippie Ki-Yay
You made me laugh with the body count, which is too true for a Bruce Willis movie. Smart and snarky with a grain of truth. Love the writing, some funny lines as well.  Only downside was it didn’t hold up to repeat playings. Felt more like a novelty song. 

SHADOWS

Dr. Lindyke - Far Away
I loved this song. Wasn’t expecting a torch version, which got me singing along. And when Heather jumps in the chorus, it’s magical. Nice counterpoint. Would have made my top 4 if it wasn’t a shadow. 

BYD - Sirens -
I’m biased, but I liked the way this one came together, and snuck the classical theme into the bridge. 

BYD - Ode to Marcel
Repeatability - Zero. Thought behind it? Priceless. 

Menage a Tune - Springtime Promenade
Springy piano and bouncy beat. Using a backing vocal added to the tune. The mix sounded off - I didn’t realize there were drums and a bass line in until I cranked the song. 

Jerkatorium - Today’s the Day
I wouldn’t have thought it was TDD from the intro. Nice way to make it your own!
Interesting choices in changing the vocals around. A solid addition to TDD cover lore!

RANKINGS

Temnere
Bubba and the No Longer Amiable Kraken
Governing Dynamics
Jordan Carroll
Micah Sommersmith
Edric Haleen
Megalodon
Glen Raphael
Boy on the Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment