Time left




Saturday, February 22, 2020

ST15R2 RANKINGS - Mary Ann Randall

REVIEWS 

I feel like I’m accidentally applying the buttered cat review method this time…

  1. Outlyer:  To be honest, I just  really liked this song.  It’s a little more relevant style to  what the kids are listening to these days… but hey! I’m trans-millenial lol!  A little repetitive, but since I really liked the tune, not an issue for me on this one. 
  2. Good Guy Sojabe:  At first my impression was that this might have been a cool jam on the shelf waiting to compete.. Once again though, I am a sucker for a hard rock hook that I would add to my playlist.  With the right production, I think this song could be radio ready with the right band.
  3. Glen Raphael:  STOP IT!  Stop making me like a music style I swear I’m not that fond of.  I have a strong urge to take a walk down a country road with a band of merry muppets by my side on this one. The da da das get a little much at the end, but the tune, is blessed stuck in my head.
  4. Jerkatorium:  Clever lyrics, appealing to the geek side of my brain lol.  You really should be writing jingles or sitcom themes I swear it because once again – stuck in. my. Head. Not seeing this on my playlist, but definitely strong sound commercially. 
  5. Ominous Ride:  HAHAAHAHHAHA I had to listen to this several times before it clicked.  When I listened to the song expecting well, a song, I was confused.  But after reading the lyrics and listening as a STORY I got it.  I had to change my expectations and then it changed my whole perspective…  that moved the song up a lot in my list.  Very interesting, dark humor for sure.
  6. Governing Dynamics: Is there static? Or is it my earphones? I didn’t like the buzzy sounding thing going on but I liked the tune and lyrics which helped override it.
  7. Steve Stearns:  Ok, I LOVED the clever counting application, seriously Dude, that’s a super-intellectual groove.  I think my IQ went up a point listening.  However, it did strike me more as a musical math lesson than anything. 
  8. Caravan Ray:  Could we scale back on the na nan as? I think keeping this song on the short side kept it from wearing out its welcome for me… good lyrics and toe tapping beat made it enjoyable. 
  9. Nick Work: I almost hated this song based on the beginning.  But after making myself go on past the intro, I have to give credit for the lyrics and construction of the song.  I’m not a fan of the predictable retro styling but I can’t find a reason to knock it down based on talent and overall structure, melody etc.
  10. Faster Jackalope:  Another one I didn’t care for at first…  It’s kind of easy to criticize songs for being repetitive, but on the converse we should give credit to songs that do well in being creatively constructed to avoid the boredom.   That said, the transitions on this one almost sound like a mashup more than a song verse/chorus flow.   I have to move it up based on construction and ingenuity.
  11. Buckethat Bobby Matheson:  A cute little ditty.  The lyrics made my head hurt tryn’ to get the D&D reference – imirite? I didn’t love or hate the song lol I just got hung up on the lyrics. 
  12. Vowl Sounds: Are we going for the coffee house vibe?  I think this one fell in my list due to relative perspective. Played very safe, I just get a little bored with the styling.
  13. Ross Durand: Dude! Sounds like a song on one of those supermom feel good songs for babies CDs.  Sappy sentimentality – I think you took the easy way out here tbh.  On the positive side, I think you should try to sell this song on a CD full of songs for babies and toddlers for insta-influencer moms to market on social media.
  14. Temnere:  I had such high hopes here.  THIS is my genre.  But 3 minutes of the melodic part before really sinking your teeth into the guitar and growling I had to push this down.  I feel like you are trying to appeal to the other genres and folks who don’t get the style and not breaking out into what you really want to do.  You do you Boo!   Commit! Hit!  I’m disappointed in the construction of the song – the counting sounded tacked on and forced, you need to mix up your guitar break and growling.  
  15. Timothy Patrick Hinkle:  Nothing stood out for me here.  The melody was a bit bland and the overlay of counting kind of sounded like when you are listening to music on Bluetooth and all of a sudden the Instagram stories with sound kick in in the background and you are trying to figure out what that sound is in the background of the song.  Still the melody was strong enough to keep the song up in the list for me.
  16. Mandibles:  too long too long too long too long too long too long… dragging the song out made it hyper-dull for me.   I liked the tune, it was just too long.  I think the appeal here came from the fact that I too, was hospitalized with an extreme anxiety/panic attack a little over a year ago and the surreal-ness of the experience along with only being able to describe it as “I can’t breathe” caught me up a bit.
  17. Rob from Amersfoort: It’s so weird, the song itself sound so innocuous, yet so “angry.”  It was a bit uncomfortable to listen to for me, and the musicality was harsh.  Not horrible, just harsh imo. 
  18. Boffo Yux Dudes:  Is there such a thing as “soft punk rock”?  This sounded more last minute thrown together than anything.
  19. Quantifiers: This has such a sweet genuine-ness to it I hate knocking it down.  But it sounds more like a non-conversation conversation… like the guy is trying to draft a song and the woman is in the background trying to add her 2 cents and he’s not really paying attention. 
  20. Jocko Homomorphism:  Seriously – lesson learned – elliptic curves and music just don’t mix.  I’ts ok not everything works, props for going out on a limb on this one, it just did not work.  Can we leave math as the subject, not the method from now on? 



Best Regards,

Mary Ann Randall

RANKINGS

OutLyer
Good Guy Sojabe
Glen Raphael
Jerkatorium
Ominous Ride
Governing Dynamics
Steve Stearns
Caravan Ray
Nick Work
Faster Jackelope
“BucketHat” Bobby Matheson
Vowl Sounds
Ross Durand
Temnere
Timothy Patrick Hinkle
Mandibles
Rob from Amersfoort
Boffo Yux Dudes
The Quantifiers
Jocko Homomorphism

No comments:

Post a Comment