Time left




Sunday, March 8, 2020

ST13R3 Reviews - Mary Ann Randall

There were so many great songs this round – but since it’s a contest, well, they have to be ranked! There’s so much talent here it’s crazy… I hope y’all are copyrighting this stuff. Just sayin’…

  1. Vowl Sounds – having a child graduating high school this year, this song really hit home for me.  If we all really admit it, a LOT of what we learn in high school is hard to understand how to apply in real life.  I think I heard that a million times from my daughter!  Not to mention all the over-romanticized experiences like prom, your senior year, being a cheerleader etc.  She cannot WAIT for college.  You had me at the line “nobody likes junior high except sychophants and psychopaths.”  I only ranked you down a little because of the cynicism was a little too noticeable and graduation is supposed to be a time of pride and inspiration – but you nailed the truth with the lyrics, you really did.
  2. Glen Raphael – Um, I really struggled on how to process this one. Another song where I’m thinking – is this cynical? Is this funny? Is it supposed to let us know it’s going to be ok?  I guess it depends on the listener…  I don’t know if it would be appropriate for a wedding though.  I liked the song,  the lyrics versus the tune was just a little confusing to me. 
  3. Nick Work – I like the kind of generic inspirational thing going on here, a folk rock let’s go drive somewhere and be free kind of thing.  And the guitar solo gave it absolute life.  I hope you’re performing this in public, it’s a song that should be shared and I think it would definitely be enjoyed by a wide variety of listeners.  Not super sure what “event” I would apply this to though…
  4. Good Guy Sojabe – I am so sorry Dude, even though my inner goth tried to like this I thought the music should have been much darker to go with the lyrics.  Another song becoming victim to trying to make the music “relatable” with some pretty dark unrelatable lyrics.  This song didn’t need channeling “The Cure” it needed some “Type O Negative”.  I’m gonna give you the same advice as I did Tenmere on the last challenge… if you’re gonna pick a lane, pick it and commit!!! 
  5. Outlyer – Awwwwwwww  the sincerity of this song just tugged at me.  It was really a genuinely sweet tribute!  I think maybe it was put together in a way that it came across a little clunky and preachy.  The only reason I marked it down was I just couldn’t see it performed outside a more “personal” setting like a teacher actually singing to their direct students. 
  6. Steve Stearns –  Okay so THIS is the narrative for 2020.  I love this song! Can I share it? 
  7. Bobby Matheson – Another sincere song that tugged at the old heart strings!  The singing was pretty raw though, but the song was super heart felt, and I think that was going outside your comfort zone and I felt like it contributed to the song being a little awkward to listen to.  Let it go next time and don’t be afraid to show your feelings 
  8. Faster Jackalope – I’m gonna confess I had this ranked low the first time I listened to it.  But the more I listened to it the more I liked it and started to get it.  A little pitchy in a few places but I had to be really really picky this round…  
  9. Ross Durand – The tune was pleasant enough – but the singing was a bit pitchy and again I had to be very picky this round.  It met the challenge, the song was sweet, the words were everything they needed to be, it was just a little too formulaic for me.  But I had to rank it because it’s a contest, and a really really really really tough round at that!!!!
  10. Governing Dynamics – I really enjoyed and got the “driving” feeling from this song.  I got what it was about the first time listening and it’s a great tune!   The only thing is I feel like it hit that “generic feel good” inspiration and seeing as to how there were SO many great songs this round, I had to apply the “how close did it meet the actual challenge” subject in order to make a ranking.
  11. Jerkatorium -  My daughter is graduating this year – and I can actually see us playing this song at her and her friends graduation party – you good if I do that?  HAHAHAHA you had me at the break with the sample of pomp and circumstance – brilliant!! 
  12. Temnere – I’m so PROUD of you!!  No wishy washy commitment on your entry this time and it worked!!!  Power ballad at its finest.  The only thing I can say is the ended could have been a little stronger strung out on those last few notes, I saw where you were going and it was just a wee abrupt on the very final follow through.  Could have been a longer fade out ending with the just the piano as an alternative imo.
  13. Jocko Homomophism – I get it lol but I wasn’t a fan of the tune.  I had very high hopes based on the intro and instrumental part but the singing needs some more work to make this work for me.  
  14. Menage a Tune – I wish you well – I think this is a nice song, I just think it needs to be performed stronger with a guitar and maybe some drums??
  15. Menage a Tune – Rainbow Bridge – I’m so sorry about your beloved fur baby
  16. Mandibles – This is a great tune – I liked it, I just think it didn’t make it due to relative perspective.  Maybe enter it into a future challenge? 
  17. Brewhouse – Not bad, just not inspiring.. good lyrics though!
  18. Just Ducky – Um all things considered, should be played at a high volume in every bathroom in America right now!!!  Not a contender, but I can see a purpose.
  19. The Quantifiers – I get the theme, but it’s just a no for me this time.  Maybe we need a new music genre for this?  Librarianist literary musical interpretative?  



Best Regards,

Mary Ann Randall

4 comments:

  1. Share away, Mary Ann! - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, share away. And I don't want to get all official on you, but per the contest rules we are all submitting these songs explicitly and deliberately under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) license, so you can use and share any of these songs as much as you like, for almost whatever you like. Flattered that you would consider using and/or sharing.
    https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the explanation I don’t mind the details better to be very clear!

      Delete