Time left




Saturday, March 1, 2014

SpinTunes #8 Round 2 Reviews: Daniel Calwell

Zoe Gray - Black With You
I didn’t think you could top what you did in the last round, and I was wrong. I’m probably going to sound like a broken record, but for someone to be this talented at your age is incredible. With this song, however, I could detect the youth in your voice. It wasn’t a hindrance or a benefit, I just thought it was interesting that a different style and theme can bring out that kind of distinction in a song. Good work.

TurboShandy - Stoic
I really enjoyed the energy of this song. It felt like a really good road trip song. The way you layered your voice at certain points sounded excellent. I also have to compliment some of those lower notes you hit. I can always appreciate a good low note. Good stuff.

T.C. Elliott - You Cheated On Me (And Now I Hate You)
I hate to say it, but I was not a fan of this one. You sounded pretty darn good, but I felt it was a little repetitive. Sometimes repetition is good, but in this case it was a downer. The quality of the sound was good, I just wasn’t feeling the lyrics and the structure of the song.

Sara Parsons - Who Am I Kidding?
I really enjoyed the lyrics. The song also felt very relaxing and easy-going, which is funny considering this challenge has to do with hate. I like it.

My immediate reaction to this song was that it reminds me of an Aloe Blacc song. That’s a compliment. I really enjoyed this song. The lyrics matched with your wonderful voice really sell it. Good work.

Ross Durand - Sometimes
I’m really digging the richness/deepness of your voice. It goes very well the lightness of the tune and the disdain of the lyrics. Good stuff.

Jutze - I Hate You
So much hate, man. But seriously, how does your throat feel right now? That must have killed it.  I can’t say I loved this one, but I definitely didn’t dislike it. You definitely got the theme covered. I really did like the music - it reminded me of Dragonforce. Nice job.

Jenny Katz - Voodoo Doll
This was a good one. Anytime I get even a glimmer of a showtune-esque impression, I love it. I’m a musical theatre nerd. I definitely got that from this. Whether or not that was your intention matters not. It was a good song overall - lyrics, voice, music, all of it. Well done.

James Young - I Hate You
The first time I listened to this I thought: Did he write a love song? Does he not know that this is a hate challenge? But then I heard the rest of it, and I loved it. I also connect to this song for reasons that would be inappropriate to share here. Anyway, as I said I loved this one. The lyrics were great. Well done.

Jailhouse Payback - Clippedcorners
“Hate is such a strong word, but somehow not quite enough.” That is a great lyric right there. I wasn’t a fan of this one at first, but I listened to it about 5 times and by the end of my marathon I loved it. I felt a lot of emotion coming out of this one. More than just hate. Good work.

Governing Dynamics - Trump Card
Oh man, this was funky. It reminds me of something but I’m not sure what. Whatever it reminds me of must be good, because I liked this song. I could really feel the disdain in your voice. It almost felt like you were really singing at me. Good work.

Felix Frost - Steely
The tune had me dancing in my chair from the beginning. I really enjoyed the lyrics, and the way you mixed your voice. Well done.

Edric Haleen - Born Of Hate
You really like making people feel intense emotions, don’t you? I don’t think this one topped the last one, but it definitely came close. The only critique I have is that it was almost too dialouge-y. Other than, good work once again.

Dr. Lindyke featuring Heather Zink - I Hate Myself For Loving You
The guitar in this piece is beautiful. I really enjoy the style of it. Heather has a very lovely voice as well. I have nothing negative to say about this. Good work.
Caravan Ray - Disdain In The Refrain
Oh man, I really liked this one. I danced to it every time I listened to it. This one wins the award for most hate-y. Also, any song with a dance break wins points with me. Excellent job.

Brian Gray - Stupid Face
This was another one of my favorites from this round. The acapella group style can be really bad or really good, and this was really good. I also really appreciated the lyrics. Nice work.

Army Defense - What Can I Do
You almost kind of sound like a mixture between John Lennon and Paul McCartney. That’s a compliment. I enjoyed the energy of this song, as well as the vocal layering you did in some parts. I don’t have anything negative to say. Good job.

Adam Sakellarides - Damn You
I think you should’ve named this song “Benedict Cumberbitch.” I think I saw a shirt that said that once. Anyway, I like your voice, especially when you go into a lower register. I’m also impressed that you were able to use the name “Benedict Cumberbatch” in a song. I feel like that in and of itself is impressive. Good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment