Time left




Saturday, December 12, 2020

Winter Warm-up 2020 #1: Ohm-i's Reviews

[Dave's Note: Our final set of reviews/rankings comes from Ohm-i, nerdcore artist and Spintunes champion]


RANKINGS

1  Dr. Lindyke

  All The Robots

3 – Buffo Yox Dudes

4 – BucketHat Bobby

5 – Menage a Tune

6 – Joe Covenant Lamb


REVIEWS

 

Dr. Lindyke - Me vs Mini-Me

This was the first song I listened to and the “made yo momma have twins cause I wanted you twice” lines was so funny that I texted my friends about it.  Honestly, this song has a bunch of randomly hilarious lines that makes it pretty charming and the dynamic between the two vocalists is perfect. I’m gonna say that “Me” won this battle though.

 

Menage a Tune – You’re Amazing

The lack of any sort of instrumental definitely threw me off. I’m not familiar with the vocalists so I went back to some previous challenges that you’ve done to see what type of music you normally do. I think it would have been possible to incorporate your own style of music underneath to give it a little more life. That being said, in the spirit of this being a rap battle, I don’t think anything should be taken away from not having an instrumental, but that creates an expectation that the lyrics themselves are more engaging then they were here.

 

“BucketHat” Bobby – Bob Matheson vs BucketHatBobby

There was a lot more technical and rhythmical delivery here than the other songs for sure. As far as the challenge goes though, I think this barely skims by the criteria. There’s definitely compliments thrown around, but this seems to be based more around self-deprecation than providing compliments to your opponent. I don’t think the self-pity angle is bad, but it could have done with some more compliments from that side.

 

Joe Covenant Lamb – JoeCovenantRap: A Jock’s Rap

First of all, the beat concept is dope and most engaging out of all the entries. Secondly, as someone who harmonizes a lot in my own hooks, I’m a fan of what you did here. However, I’m not sure this met the challenge at all. I didn’t get any sense of a compliment battle here. As an example, you said “Keep throwin' oot that garbage, ye'll be playin' wi' yer teeth!”. The song itself is not terrible by any means, and I think if the challenge has just been rapping, I would have ranked this a lot higher. I think it would be interesting to hear more songs like this!  

 

Boffo Yux Dudes - You're So Much Better Than Me

This song falls in an awkward position for me. I don’t think it handles any particular music or lyrical concept better than the other entries. The beat is ok, the lyrics are ok, and the delivery is ok. However, overall, it meets the challenge a lot better than the ones ranking below. I don’t have any real criticism here, so good job. :P

 

All The Robots - Complementary Compliments

The skit was borderline awkward but it set the stage for what the song was about so I can’t be too mad about it. As I mentioned in a previous review, I am a sucker for well-done harmonies in hooks, and this one was great. Between the hook and the skit, it starts off feeling like a whole Schoolhouse Rock song. The beat is creative too and that bass definitely helps drive the feel.  All the name drops of other SpinTunes contestants is a nice touch and this was executed pretty well overall.

 

---------------------------
Ohm-I
Nerdcore Artist
https://mcohmi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment