Time left




Saturday, December 12, 2020

Winter Warm-up 2020 #1: Sam Robb's Reviews

 [Dave's Note: Sam Robb suggested this challenge, which basically kickstarted me out of depression and got me jazzed about reviving SpinTunes from its fallow spell. Since he is an author, his bio is pretty easy to find, and I'll just give it to you here:

Sam Robb is a devoted husband and the father of three teenagers. As such, he's developed a propensity for Dad jokes. He's also interested in long walks, urban photography, martial arts and self-defense. Oh, yes - he also ran for President, once upon a time.

When he's not walking around Pittsburgh taking pictures and making up stories to tell, he works as a software developer and teaches Sunday School at his church.


Have a look on Amazon and show him some love.]

REVIEWS

Dr. Lindyke - Me Vs Mini-Me

As the first song in the set, Dr. Lindyke set the tone - and did a great job of it. Dad complimenting his son charmed me at the start; when his son joined in and started starting in on how "I got my skills from my incredible Dad", well, that made me smile! The references to trumpet playing lips (ha!), coding (geek here!), Dungeons and Dragons, and Scooby Do bumped it up a notch for me. I've got three daughters - but if I had a son, I'd want one like the Doc's Mini-Me.


Menage a Tune - You're Amazing!

Following up the Father/Son saga, Menage a Tune served up a Mother/Daughter tale. There was some real heart in there as Liz and Jo told the story about how their lives intertwined, good and bad. A little off key or rough here and there, but honestly? That made it more real to me. This wasn't two artists making up a story, it was two people telling a their real story.

The duet refrain was a really nice touch - I'm not one who usually listens to rap, so I don't know if that's a common technique or not; but it worked, caught me off guard and made me sit up and pay attention. I'd like to see what they could do with more than a week to work something up.


"BucketHat" Bobby - Bob Matheson Vs BucketHatBobby

This was a delightful listen. I immediately heard echos of Weird Al and a reminder of Moxy Früvous' "BJ Don't Cry". I loved the techniques, and some of the rhymes made me stop and rewind to make sure I caught what I thought I heard. The tempo was good, too, especially the wind down and pick up towards the end.

The concept was beautiful, too. I've been there, and I know what it's like to listen to that little voice. Bob, listen to that young guy - Micah and Ryan from All the Robots think you've got something going, and I agree.


Joe Covenant Lamb - JoeCovenantRap: A Jock's Rap

This one took me completely by surprise. Wait, is that mixing bad? I can kind of get a word here and there, but... pop open the lyrics... OH! HE'S SCOTTISH!

That was all I needed for my brain to shift gears, and THEN I was ready to hear Joe rapping about the Heelan' coos! My wife and girls looooove an English accent. Me? Give me a Scotsman. Blame it on Sean Connery, I guess.

The wordplay was imaginative and combined with a Scottish accent, there were some particularly clever lines. Hats off to Joe for a great idea expressed with the perfect matter-of-fact attitude. "Well, I could compliment a friend, I guess. Or my wife. Wait, I know... I'LL RAP ABOUT HOW FANTASTIC MY WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY IS!" Which he did... and I loved it!


Boffo Yux Dudes - You're So Much Better Than Me

I'm going to say that out of all the entries, the BYD gave us the most iconic tune. This was the song I was expecting to hear. The way they changed up their rhythm and rhymes to move between verses was classic. Bonus points for some language that I would not have expected from a rap artist - "sylvan glade"? Makes me think that someone's either a fan of Shakespeare, or can tell you what THAC0 means. A solid production across the board, but to me, it felt a little too polished - it didn't seem to have the same heart as the others.


All The Robots - Complementary Compliments

I described this one to my wife as "Schoolhouse Rock grew up and got snarky." The opening dialogue (I'm a sucker for a grammar joke) and the refrain immediately made me think there should be some 70's animation in the background. Intended homage or not, it immediately made me smile.

I really loved what Micah and Ryan did here, too. Of course, they were complimenting each other. That was the goal, right? Then they took that and kicked it up a notch, and complimented each other while ALSO complimenting other artists - including a couple of their competitors! On top of it all, they really sounded happy to be doing it. Absolutely charming.


RANKINGS

Final rankings, favorite to least:


#1 - All The Robots - Complementary Compliments.

Goofy, silly, unpretentious and absolutely charming.


#2 - Joe Covenant Lamb - JoeCovenantRap: A Jock's Rap.

I now want more Scottish rap. My wife may never forgive you.


#3 - "BucketHat" Bobby - Bob Matheson Vs BucketHatBobby

Listen to the kid, Bob. He's right - you're pretty great.


#4 - Dr. Lindyke - Me Vs Mini-Me

Wins the coveted "Can I Introduce my Daughter to Your Boy?" award


#5 - Boffo Yux Dudes - You're So Much Better Than Me

Most Boffo. Also the most Yux delivered from a pair o' dudes.


#6 - Menage a Tune - You're Amazing!

Winner, "Most Amazing Mom" competition, 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment