Time left




Tuesday, May 10, 2022

ST19.4 Reviews and Rankings - Nancy Rost

1Also In Blue
2See-Man-Ski
3Sober
4Governing Dynamics

See-Man-Ski - Super Natural Way

I like the twist that still references the supernatural in preferring the super natural. It’s done with heart and humor. Appropriately, the singing sounds super natural here. I really like the phrasing of the vocal melody, and especially the way the title line sways. The straightforward folk/pop piano ballad treatment suits the lyrics very well. The use of pedal tones fits right in in this context, with a repeated tonic note that’s a natural, steadying force like the subject of the song. 


I have to give special props to the cat, and that little moment of suspense after “you would hear them say”. I’m easily charmed by cats anyway, but the way the meow is framed in the song makes it a real highlight.


This is a strong style for you, and I’d like to hear you explore more along these lines.


Governing Dynamics - Two Different Worlds


A duet! Even before I’m able to take in the words, I’m excited by the dialogue between the two vocalists, and can feel the emotion between them and the dramatic arc. 


The words are clever and intriguing, and clearly something supernatural is happening -- but I had a hard time understanding exactly what. After reading the song bio, it fits both meanings you mentioned. It could be that the nuances and mysterious imagery would grow on me with more time and listening, but in the time frame of this review period, I wanted the lyrics to make the story more clear.


I like the variety of drone, pedal-point and adjacent motifs with the guitar and backing vocals.The prompt definitely shapes the song and creates something interestingly suspenseful. I like the slight ambiguity the drones give the cadences.


Also in Blue - Doppelganger


This is a fascinating response to the drone/pedal challenge. Having three notes repeating throughout the A sections of the piece creates a puzzle that you solve with complex and varied harmony. I get to enjoy the sort of one-chord funk feel from the bass pedal, modal jazz with the repeated treble notes, and some delightfully surprising chord extensions. I like those chromatic palate-cleansers on the electric piano, too. Harmonically, this is just my cup of tea.


Lyrically, this is tight and builds the story and mood well. Although you reference two types of doppelganger meanings in your song bio, to me it sounds all of a piece - like the first part is buildup for the revelation of the evil twin. The alliteration is fun, and you handle the tongue-twisters with aplomb. One word choice that felt off to me was “goddamn devil” -- after “fucked-up funhouse mirror”, the second swear seems weaker, and we want the strongest word on the climactic image.


Crystal-clear production and smooth performances as usual. And this time it’s so short it left me wanting more, which is not a bad thing. It feels like it could be a vignette in a series, or a musical theater work. Very entertaining.


Sober - From Either Side of the Grave


Along with your characteristic hot picking, I also especially like the phrasing of the title line and the concept behind it. There’s lots that’s catchy and energetic about this angry haunting. That fits very well with the notions of natural (if not supernatural) consequences. Strong, concise lyrics on that subject.


If you do have to pick a supernatural figure to use in a song with a drone challenge, a banshee is a good one, and the interlude with the high (guest?) vocals reinforces that mention. A creative and relevant use of sustained notes to be sure - a good arranging choice. I’d like to see you challenge yourself more in the realm of composing, where a drone or pedal tone (or the next compositional challenge) is something you start with and build the piece around.



Phlub - The Yeti


Now that is committing to the musical prompt. So many repeated tones -- and words! -- really underscoring the frantic search for the supernatural yeti. And in the absence of much tonal variation, the creative use of rhythm kind of takes the central role melody usually plays. The lyrics are great. Given the speed and monotony and the kind of walkie-talkie effect, they’re a little hard to take in at first, but on subsequent listens I appreciate how the rhymes get more obsessive as the song goes on, and the overall deadpan humor. Very cool concept and execution.



Red Watcher - 3 AM Again


The musical irresolutions and tender vocals do much to create a gentle, melancholic mood. Those long, bell-like tones are a great use of the drone/pedal prompt, and the way they accumulate along with synth voices at the end is a nice way to build intensity. 


I like the long, descending notes on that “why am I awake” refrain, too. That one has stuck with me.


Red Watcher - Searching for You


I love the piano part! Lovely harmonic progression and driving rhythms. The energy of the music does a lot to reinforce the vocals and lyrics. The melody gives me a sense of both belief and yearning. If I had my druthers, I wouldn’t mind hearing the vocals a little louder and more forward in the mix, but I like the performance itself just as it is. The breakdown verse with the long notes uses the drones as a contrasting type of reinforcement, and that works well.



Hot Pink Halo - Start Again


The double and triple meanings are well crafted -- clever, but presented in a subtle way that highlights the emotional aspect of the lyrics. The whispery vocal is very effective in getting this across.


Another sort of anti-supernatural theme. Somewhat incidental to the main theme, but I like the organic combination of the crossword puzzle across from the horoscope, and the way the narrator’s attitude pervades them both. I think the drone/pedal part of the challenge is well done, and also jibes very well with the theme of starting again.


No comments:

Post a Comment