Time left




Monday, May 6, 2024

ST22 Final Round Reviews - Tunes By LJ

Joy Sitler - Makeshift Rorschach Test
This song starts out beautifully with a 12 string guitar playing a soothing, nostalgic chord progression. When the vocals come in, I realize it's not actually nostalgia I’m feeling, I am simply recalling the song Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. I think you deserve the benefit of the doubt on this - I doubt you intended to imitate that song so closely on purpose, but once that comparison presents itself it becomes pretty hard to shake. The vocal melody is similar, you also have a large stringed instrument (definitely Not A Cello) in the background doing a similar pattern, and the buildup to the chorus jumps up the octave with “shadow looks just like mine” (you bleed just to know you’re alive)... Lawsuits have been filed over less! Fortunately it sounds great, especially the noise rock sections in the middle and end, they create a nice energetic high point. You’ve certainly met the challenge, and I appreciate the meta approach you took, an emotionally-charged experience of reading meaning into visual noise. The lyrics are passably textured, with some eloquent turns of phrase that evoke a hint of profundity, though less memorable than your previous entries. All in all this is a beautiful song that sounds a bit too much like another beautiful song that came before it.

Ironbark - El Ultimo Toro
Another fantastic showing that caps off a truly incredible run of songs in this competition. You saw something specific in this image that no one else did, and you unpacked it in classic Ironbark style: starting at Spanish bullfighting, flecked with Flamenco chords, and blossoming into a moving meditation on generational trauma. In your song bio you reference your intention while writing it to set aside preconceptions and “see where the song would lead.” I can almost hear that intention playing out as the song unfolds and new meaning presents itself. “Maria wanted daughters” takes us to a completely new narrative paradigm that still feels perfectly apace with the initial setting, and I can feel the song’s expanding metaphor taking shape as you write it. Finding a sympathetic figure in an abusive father seeking atonement is a herculean task, but you’ve somehow done that here, and the way the metaphor comes together in the end is really a masterclass in narrative songwriting. 

The Alleviators - Sarah’s Basement
This song perfectly captures a certain period of late adolescence, old enough to get into trouble but too young for adult nightlife. I feel like I was literally at this exact party some 15 years ago. The details ripple with authenticity and nostalgia - I couldn’t stop smiling while listening to this, it makes me want to go dig up old photos and reach out to old friends. You took a more meta approach to the photo, alluding to the rorschach test of “shapes in the stains” rather than seeing anything specific, but I think it’s effective here, situated in an adorable story about a dreamy hazy basement party. Per usual your melodic instincts really shine here, especially the beautiful chorus - “finally faced it” is so damn good. I could point out some sloppiness in performance and mix but I honestly don’t really hear anything that detracts from the experience. This song is so much fun and so upbeat  - your usual style is more slow and subdued, and now I’m wondering where this energy was the whole time! I really, really love this song. 

Glennny - Leaky Pipes
I like what you tried to do here, but I had to read your bio to really grasp the vision - you definitely commit to the challenge but without a clear throughline tying the various images together it feels pretty disjointed. I couldn’t really follow a coherent story, and the music similarly feels a little scattered across sections. It's a shame because there are some great ideas on display, particularly toward the end of the song. I had to hit replay on this a few times before I felt like I had a solid grasp on it. Your guitar work per usual is exemplary, confidently driving the song and capably shouldering basically the full instrumental soundscape. I just wish your lyrics tied the whole thing together a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment