Time left




Friday, August 16, 2024

SpinTunes 23 - Meet the Judges!

With a new SpinTunes tournament just a week away, you may be wondering who will be judging your contributions? I'm pleased to introduce your judging panel for SpinTunes 23. 

Read on to find out who they are, then head over to the sign-up page by August 23 to get your hat in the ring!

ChasRock
(he/him)

Chas is a Chicago-based artist originally from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. While most in Chicago know him for comedy as an ensemble member of the Second City Touring Company, he also produces and records local artists for Ersatz Records and is a founding member of the band Kid Copter. An alumni of SongFu and SpinTunes 18, he has taken the coward's way out and will be judging SpinTunes 23 instead of participating. He loves all genres of music, as long as the production presents something emotionally honest and self-aware. He's very grateful that communities like SpinTunes continue to exist.  

Instagram | Spotify

Chumpy Wumpikins - SpinTunes 13 Champion
(he/him)

Hello, Chumpy Wumpikins here, from the Nerd Rock duo Jerkatorium. I consider myself a proud member of the online amateur music contest community and have been involved in a number of SongFight and SongFight adjacent contests including SpinTunes and Nur Ein as both a contestant and judge. I'm also co-host of the "Two Jerks One Vote" podcast, where we review songs from SongFight, SpinTunes, and Nur Ein contests.

I appreciate music with diverse production values--from stripped down guitar and voice performances to massively overproduced progressive rock--and while I do have my biases, I endeavor to keep an open mind. I'm reminded that many works by my favorite artists, I did not appreciate at first, so I try not to over-index on first impressions. I'm often impressed by music that makes me feel something strongly, or commands me to move my feet. I'm also ever on the lookout for the craft of songwriting; the turn of a lyric, the hook of a melody, a clever arrangement, an unexpected switch-up. Good luck, and godspeed!

Edric Haleen - SpinTunes 10 Champion
(he/him)

Edric Haleen is an OG SpinTunes participant, having been part of the transition from Masters of Song Fu. Edric enjoys gray areas and perfect rhymes. (He even won an iteration of SpinTunes at one point back in the day!)

Website

Leonie (Hot Pink Halo)
(she/her)


I've been making music as Hot Pink Halo since 2019. I started out writing for Songfight, Nur Ein and Spintunes, and over the past year have started performing live locally as Hot Pink Halo, and have joined the band Crimestar on bass. My goal for 2024 is to hit 100 songs. I sing and play all sorts of instruments including keys, bass, guitar and violin (basically I will have a go at anything!) I enjoy all sorts of music, and my goal is to judge your songs as best as I can on the song (lyrics, structure, idea, etc.) rather than the details of the production. This may be easier said than done, of course… 

When I’m not making music, I work as visual artist somewhere in the middle of Ireland. I moved here from Australia in 2017. Bribes of Vegemite, Milo and Twisties won’t work on me, I swear. 

Website | Bandcamp

Ryan Finholm - SpinTunes 13 Champion
(he/him)

I’ve been SongFighting since 2014 and SpinTunesing since 2017 as Hanky Code and as half of Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, and All The Robots. Chumpy and I have been judging SpinTunes competitions (and Nur Ein, and doing SongFight commentary) on the Two Jerks One Vote podcast on and off since 2018. 

I love SpinTunes. I doubt I’d be writing any music at all if it weren’t for SpinTunes, SongFight and Nur Ein. 

Have fun and don’t resent the judges. You will almost certainly lose; be okay with it. 

YouTube

Micah Sommersmith - Contest Administrator / SpinTunes 14 Champion
(they/he)

I play the accordion, direct and sing in choirs, and make crossword puzzles. I've been running the contest since 2021 when I took over from Dave Leigh of Dr. Lindyke. I'm glad to be able to keep this contest going and am looking forward to hearing some great new tunes!

Linktree

1 comment:

  1. This is cool, I already have the contact info for most of these judges which makes sending my bribes so much more convenient! lo

    ReplyDelete