Time left




Sunday, October 13, 2024

ST23.3 Reviews and Rankings - Edric Haleen

Here are your rankings from SpinTunes 10 Champion Edric Haleen:

The Pannacotta Army1
Cavedwellers2
Celestial Drift3
The Alleviators4
My Broken Demo Tape5
Sober6
SpinTown & Company7
With Joe8
The Moon Bureau9
glennny10
Stacking Theory11
Siebass12
cardamom seed13

Read on for a description of Edric's process and a link to his full reviews:

My Process:

First Pass:

Basically the same as in the previous rounds.  I set down my initial impressions during the Listening Party.  I did not look at the artist or song title as the songs played, nor did I watch the YouTube chat – I simply listened to the songs to see what I took from them on their own strengths alone.  I made notes of which vocals were clear and which were hard to discern; I made notes of which stories were understandable on first listen and which were more opaque; I made notes about whether I could understand how the song’s narrator satisfied the challenge or whether I’d need to turn to the “liner notes.”


Second Pass:

I once again listened to the songs in reverse submission order for the second pass, again in a quest to be more fair to those songs at the end of the album.  I spread these re-listens across Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, listening to each song multiple times, paying attention to story and structure, creativity and craft.  And again, I saved thinking about points and rankings for the final pass.


Final Pass:

On Friday, I started filling scores into the same matrix I used for the first two rounds.  And again, my comments stemmed largely from my notes from earlier in the week, and the scores came from actively re-listening to each song as I worked on each ranking.


Scoring Categories:

Met the Challenge  (Was the connection clear/strong/tenuous/creative?)

Music  (Did it serve the song well? Was it interesting/appropriate/evocative/engaging? Did it enhance the story, co-exist with the story, or seem at odds with the story? Note – I imagined what a professional recording might sound like when I assigned actual scores for Music, so participants would not automatically be “penalized” if they didn’t have an abundance of resources at their disposal.  But I did add an extra 0.5 if an arrangement went “above-and-beyond,” and/or and extra 0.5 if I felt the music served to significantly enhance the story. A score of “2” should be considered my “expectation” for this category.)

Story  (Did it serve the song well? Was it interesting/appropriate/evocative/engaging? Note – I did not judge how strongly it met the challenge when I assigned actual scores for Story; that’s what “Met the Challenge” was for. A score of “2” should be considered my “expectation” for this category.)

Lyric  (Did the lyrics still on the melody line well? Did the words-chosen serve the lyric well? Once a metrical pattern was established, was it adhered to throughout the song, or were syllables squooshed-in or left-out across recurrences of similar sections of the lyric? A score of “2” should be considered my “expectation” for this category.)

Rhyme Scheme  (Once a rhyme scheme was established, was it adhered to throughout the song, or were rhymes squooshed-in or left-out across recurrences of similar sections of the lyric? Note – I did not penalize for near-rhymes or identities when I assigned actual scores for Rhyme Scheme, but I did award an extra 0.25 points to competitors who rhymed perfectly across an entire rhyme scheme. A score of “3” should be considered my “expectation” for this category.)

Tie-Breaker “Bumps”  (This is a place where I could add in hundredths of a point to break ties for the sake of assigning distinct rankings to all 23 entries.)

My scores/rankings can be viewed in this Google Sheet.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. If I met the challenge, even if barely, I'm happy. I struggled to come up with an idea. The lore angle was all I came up with (since I'm forcing myself to make these Minecraft related), and maybe I should have made them more hopeful throughout the song. That last spoken line was really all I gave people, so that's fair.

    I'll bullet point the part of the timeline the song was about. Maybe I should have done that in my bio, but I figured if the judges weren't familiar with Minecraft, it still probably wouldn't help me. lol

    - A race known as the ancient builders who lived in the overworld wanted to gain the power to create life.
    - So they invaded the nether to gain the needed resources (the nether had previously failed to invade the overworld).
    - Things didn't go as planned but they did end up creating a new life with what they learned there. That new life was the Wither.
    - To escape the evil Wither they hid underground in newly constructed cities. Until the Wither found them.
    - They tried to activate a portal to escape, and another new life form came out of it. The Warden.
    - The Wither & the Warden had an epic battle, and the Warden won.
    - The Warden was also not a friendly being, and would attack anyone that made a sound (they're mostly blind).
    - So they ran & built a heavily fortified underground stronghold to protect themselves from the Warden.
    - Eventually they made a new portal, and had just left the overworld to arrive at the End.
    - This is where the song ends, with them hopeful that they'll finally be safe.
    - However, like all their past attempts to create life & open portals, that would also not go well for them.

    ReplyDelete