Here are your Round 1 rankings from SpinTunes 25 Champion Beka Gurney:
Read on for Beka's reviews!
Hello everyone!
What a huge first round! I feel very humbled by the opportunity to be a judge and, boy, let me tell you, I have a brand new respect for everyone who has ever judged SpinTunes before, especially those who have judged our band. This is no easy task and takes a lot of time and effort, so I truly salute all of our past judges, and ask for your mercy. I’m so sorry this is so late. Some of your reviews were written while commuting on the bus, some in a 15-passenger van crossing the border to Canada, some backstage at various shows, some at midnight while my sick daughter slept next to me. It’s been a crazy few weeks, but I know that’s the same story for many of you and yet you still managed to turn in a truly impressive first round of songs. Please know I genuinely loved reviewing your songs, and I hope anyone who is eliminated will enter Shadows in future rounds because, as you will see below, my most common response was “I can’t wait to see what you do next!”
With so many entries, it is very daunting to attempt to rank them all. At first, I focused simply on listening to each song and celebrating what it was, which I hope comes through in the reviews below. However, the nature of SpinTunes does require that we rank, so I standardized an internal process where each song was scored in a number of categories, with some weighted more heavily than others. Know that nobody ranked particularly low, and especially for this first round, you shouldn’t fret too much if you landed somewhere in the middle or lower on the list than you expected. There’s a LOT of “middle” with so many entries, and some of my favorite entries landed there.
My rated categories were as follows, with lyrics and musicality scores weighted the highest. For this first round, I am keeping these category scores internal, but I may share in future rounds as we narrow down contestants.
Challenge: Simple. Did you meet it? I did judge this on a scale.
Creativity: In how you approached the challenge, in your song topic, or in your musical choices.
Lyrics: Do they tell a story or convey an emotion? Do you have word wrangling skills? Do they suit the music / genre / style?
Musicality: Did you demonstrate a basic understanding of music theory, arrangement, genre, timing, etc.? Was the song engaging? Did it have dynamics?
Execution: Not just production, but did you accomplish what you set out to do? Did your choices suit the song? Did you pull off your performance?
Personal Taste: The lowest-weighted category, because obviously we’re all going to have our own preferences.
I am grateful for everyone’s commitment to this contest, and I’ll attempt to have reviews in sooner for future rounds. Please know I understand it’s too late to include any of my advice below in your Round 2 submissions, so don’t worry, it won’t affect my judging. My hope is that these reviews encourage or guide you in your overall songwriting and give you more to consider than a random number.
Lastly, if there is any question, I’ll just add that my Alleviators bandmate Travis and I did not and will not be comparing notes or rankings prior to turning them in, and I do think it’s very funny how close we are on some things and far apart we are on others, lol.
Thank you all for participating, and I hope no matter where you ranked, you stick with us to the end!
(For whatever reason, I decided to review and listen from the bottom up, just for fun. So here we go.)
Brother Baker - "The Rhombus"
Initial response:
Great sound, love the vocals and your harmony moments. Really into the timing change-ups. The mix is great, although I kept wanting maybe more bass (a personal preference!). Lyrically gets the job done and dances very close to something profound.
Fav lyric:
"Trying to square up, but the angles aren't right."
Fav musical choice:
The harmonies take the song to the next level.
What I'd love to see from you:
More! You’ve got the sound and musicality, lyrically I’d love to see a little more depth, can’t wait to see what you do next!
N/A - "Round in"
Initial response:
Really pulled me in honestly. Took me a minute to lock into your timing, but I wanted to follow where you were going. And the vocals, excuse me? Amazing. Bring those forward more, they’re a huge strength. Really intrigued by your sound.
Fav lyric:
"I'm going round in triangles, no curve to soften the fall."
Fav musical choice:
I can tell you know what sound you want and I love the atmosphere.
What I'd love to see from you:
More development, and a longer song. This is a good start, but I was waiting for the "going around in triangles" idea to go somewhere lyrically and for the song to build. Show us what you can do, you clearly have skills!
Christine Fanning - "Square"
Initial response:
I personally love a simple mix, and it suits this type of song. This style is right in your wheelhouse. The lyrics are a little too vague for me, though I appreciated them more with the background on the song.
Fav lyric:
"Square holds the round about, around and round we go."
Fav musical choice:
The vocal doubling!
What I'd love to see from you:
I’d love to see some more musical variety! This would have benefited from a bridge / B section or some divergence from the same chords. Also, more specificity in your lyrics. Make sure your song can tell the story (or at least a feeling) without a bio! Keep it up!
the profane bells - "Circle Back to the Start"
Initial response:
A fantastic entry. Love the internal rhymes you're doing within the lines. The sound is great and really locked in. One of my personal favorites of the round actually!
Fav lyric:
"This mess has some balance and some nuance / I'm trying my best to give it a rest, but maybe you aren't."
Fav musical choice:
The bah bah bahs, underrated high point for me. And the bass!
What I'd love to see from you:
I have a feeling you’re playing to your comfort zone, and you should, it’s very good, but I’d be excited to see you push out of it, either lyrically or musically.
Boo Lee Crosser - "i haven’t been thinking of you"
Initial response:
Thank you for sharing something so personal in a tribute to Joy. A really difficult, honest, and beautiful song.
Fav lyric:
"All these constellations have nothing to prove" and “cigarettes that burned too fast”
Fav musical choice:
The simplicity of the arrangement really lets your emotions and lyrics carry the song.
What I'd love to see from you:
In future rounds, a more direct response to the challenge, but your generosity in sharing means more than any review I could give. Hope you stick with us through the competition.
glennny - "The Octagon"
Initial response:
Love the story behind the song, and it's very relatable to me personally! Well produced and just a fun listen, while still having a lot of heart.
Fav lyric:
Analysis, Paralysis, Hurry up or I’ll break your neck! (your delivery is everything!)
Fav musical choice:
It could have been a “sad” song production-wise, but I love that the song is playful, like your games.
What I'd love to see from you:
The song implies the nostalgic emotion and your visuals do a lot of great work there, but I’d love to hear you go a little deeper, a little more vulnerable.
The Pannacotta Army - "Rough Diamond"
Initial response:
The playing cards are such a creative approach to the challenge. This is such a tight song, you are locked in and you nailed the sound.
Fav lyric:
Just love you going through all of the suits in your verses in such a creative way.
Fav musical choice:
The background vocals and leaning fully into the genre with your arrangement.
What I'd love to see from you:
Stick the landing a little harder. The last line, "fill me up with pride," works well but doesn't quite bring home your theme as poetically as I hoped. Give us something hooky. Great work as always!
Sober - "Boxes"
Initial response:
Okay Willie Nelson! Solid country, the steel guitar and the violin are awesome. My carpenter husband loves your approach. Solid metaphors (no pun intended), and the style suits the lyrics really well.
Fav lyric:
Like mortise and tenon and glue,
You fit to me and I fit to you.
Fav musical choice:
The steel guitar and violin, everything is produced so well for the genre.
What I'd love to see from you:
This level of craftsmanship in other genres/styles/instrumentation!
Sunflower Bastard - "Stadium"
Initial response:
I am having so much fun from the first note. Your lyrical rhythm is right up my alley. And then I got to THE CHORUS. This is fun as hell. I don't know what is happening but your sound is great and I want to hear your take on every challenge.
Fav lyric:
“Your pill shape’s nice and naughty”
You committed to the bit and pulled off a nice rhyme scheme in your chorus at the same time.
Fav musical choice:
The crowd vocals took this to the next level and had me laughing on the bus. Round of applause to the crowd.
What I'd love to see from you:
Make me laugh and cry at the same time. I believe you have it in hand.
Ironbark - "Hourglass"
Initial response:
Really poetic and thoughtful approach to the challenge. I love that it tells a story and has some real heart to it. At first I thought it would just be about the woman's shapes, but I really liked how you brought it to a larger meaning. Some of my favorite lyrical work of the round.
Fav lyric:
All of your choruses are absolutely lovely.
Fav musical choice:
Going for a 3/4 waltz was the right choice for this. And I love the clarinet.
What I'd love to see from you:
You are having so much fun with creative instrumentation, I can’t wait to hear more of that!
Nathan Joe Long - "A Thousand Paper Cranes"
Initial response:
Love the creative approach to the challenge. Not a standard shape, but I think it works. Nice voice and nice guitar, and I really like your lyrical style.
Fav lyric:
"Truth so deep I'd dig down and drown for you."
Fav musical choice:
The understated guitar work.
What I'd love to see from you:
It feels a little long, mostly because of the repetition, so work on how you can keep us on the journey with you. Looking forward to more!
Siebass - "Always around"
Initial response:
The concept is the highest score for me here, and I’m always a fan of a simple production if it suits the song, and I think this does.
Fav lyric:
"Finally I'll be able to stay in place." Doing some really lovely stuff with the metaphor here. This is a lyric that had me go “oh.”
Fav musical choice:
The harmonica really sets the tone. And I’m a fan of some good ooohs.
What I'd love to see from you:
More! More variety musically (give it some build or dynamics) and more words to tell the story.
Flintsteel - "Demon, Awake!"
Initial response:
You had me at "daemonic ferrier." I am dying, I love this so much. Musicality A+, approach amazing, catchy, fantastic entry.
Fav lyric:
"Case the star divine," daemonic ferrier rhyming with barrier, no notes.
Fav musical choice:
You went all in, and it paid off.
What I'd love to see from you:
I love the way you challenged the challenge and how creative this was while still meeting the prompt and telling a story. That said, for every “fun” song, my challenge would be to show us something new next time.
Also In Blue - "Vicious Circle"
Initial response:
Fun, catchy, and really nicely executed. A common theme among the song entries, but very well done. Maybe the one I wanted to re-listen to the most of the round!
Fav lyric:
"Nothing fun or funny; / Nothing new, or worth the money... / Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check again." I also love pulling on the visual of circling the drain.
Fav musical choice:
Banjo was the right choice. Song form is great, keeps us pulled in. I like what you did with the doubling and harmonies to emphasize specific lines on the chorus.
What I'd love to see from you:
I’m just excited to hear more! You have great instincts, I’m excited to see what other catchy melodies you have in your head.
So Then I Says to Mabel, I Says - "Fallen Arches"
Initial response:
I love a song with a message, and I love that you chose a creative shape. The lyrics were very descriptive, I just wanted a little more emotion underneath it. (The musical version of “show” don’t “tell”.)
Fav lyric:
"After shot by shot and blow by blow / To foe and friend we will contend / To raise the fallen arches."
Fav musical choice:
Love the movement in the bass, and the way you come in on the 2nd beat at the top of some of the verse stanzas.
What I'd love to see from you:
I’d love to hear more build, a little more tension/release either through dynamics or arrangement or melodies. We hear your lyrics, help us feel them!
Betty and the Rubble - "Tesseract"
Initial response:
Love the creative shape choice. Nice voice. I really loved the queer celebration, a nice approach to the challenge that I personally relate to!
Fav lyric:
"Coloring outside the lines, the best life lived is less defined." “Identities can grace the main stage.”
Fav musical choice:
Building the vocal harmonies as a way of bringing the 4D concept into the music. Very nice.
What I'd love to see from you:
I'd love to see a little more attention to creative rhyming with your lyrics (though that is a personal preference!) and I’d challenge you to create a little more complexity in your melodies. You got the heartstrings, now get it stuck in my head!
Stefan Szabo - “Circles”
Initial response:
This reminded me of Massive Attack immediately and in a good way. Your vocals are amazing and the way you’re producing them is addicting. Deeply relistenable. This is just a great song.
Fav lyric:
“It’s not the fear of something new / But it’s the loss of what I’ve known”
You literally made me go “ow.”
Fav musical choice:
Vocal production, and the way your lyrical lines lead into one another.
What I'd love to see from you:
I’d love to hear what you do with a BIG sound, bring-it-home final chorus type thing. And don’t be afraid to be a little more risky with your approach to lyrical prompts. Can’t wait to hear more from you.
Boffo Yux Dudes - "Icosahedron"
Initial response:
I was so, so hoping someone would do this shape. Who hasn’t fallen a little in love with their Dungeon Master?
Fav lyric:
I’m under your spell and you can’t seem to tell,
There's a hex on my hex and it's all so complex.
Fav musical choice:
natural OOOONE! Thanks for getting this stuck in my head. And I love your outro.
What I'd love to see from you:
I always love your entries, if I was going to push you I’d say try getting a little riskier with your lyrics. See how you can turn them up a notch, make each word really purposeful and intentional and not just there because it rhymes, etc. Though what can I really say when you’re rhyming one with icosahedron?
miscellaneous owl - "Alfred Hitchcock Silhouette"
Initial response:
Hell yeah, let’s rock. This song and message suit your sound and the style is well produced. Everything seems intentional and works together well. And I love sticking it to the man. :)
Fav lyric:
Call in the next incarnation of the archetype
Fav musical choice:
The verse and the chorus have such a nice contrast musically, really elevates the whole song!
What I'd love to see from you:
I think this skirts the line of meeting the challenge. I will lawyer on your behalf that the outline of a man is a specific shape, but I’d be cautious in future rounds. I look forward to hearing more from you!
Star Bear - "Tessellation"
Initial response:
I’m a star lover so this speaks to me immediately. The guitar is taking me to space. Head bobbing at my desk.
Fav lyric:
You are a star hiding in the pattern,
You always are the one who matters.
Fav musical choice:
Love that you break it down in the “We tile along the plane” section, nice dynamics there. Love the guitar echoing the vocal melody.
What I'd love to see from you:
I think there are just a few spots where tightening up the vocal lines and timing could make this hit harder. Great job!
chewmeupspitmeout - "be a circle in a world of squares"
Initial response:
Musically, this is a feast. There’s so much creative and fun stuff happening here. There’s a lot of movement and personality in the production, and it makes the whole thing really engaging.
Fav lyric:
“I'm acutely aware / That I'm being obtuse.” That’s a banger line for the shape challenge.
Fav musical choice:
Tempo change in the chorus! The key wind down at the end of the chorus!
What I'd love to see from you:
You’ve shown you can be really unique and creative so I’m just excited to see what you do next!
traumadolls - "Flattened"
Initial response:
This is really working for me. High scores on relistenability. It’s got great movement, it keeps my attention. We got a lot of “circles” in this round, you managed to keep it fresh with your lyrical approach.
Fav lyric:
Love a good use of “circle back” and key performance indicators, ha.
Fav musical choice:
Really nice blend of instrumentals and electronics.
What I'd love to see from you:
Giving the same caution I’ve given a few others, you are in danger of not meeting the challenge. You used the word circle, but flat isn’t quite a shape. Still, you’ve proven you can write a good song with a strong POV and great production. When the competition kicks up, if there’s any question about meeting the challenge, it could make all the difference on whether you move forward. Looking forward to more!
Berkeley Social Scene - "The Einstein Hat (Aperiodic Monotile)"
Initial response:
Congrats on being the first band to make me google the shape! The guitar is my favorite.
Fav lyric:
Every time you fall
It fits so nicely with your past
You’re not alone
You run from patterns, you run fast
Fav musical choice:
The intro / chorus guitar, and this may be really specific, but your choice to take the melody line down on “You won’t be coming around for a while.”
What I'd love to see from you:
I wanna hear your voice more. I want a little boost on those higher frequencies, make it easier for you to shine through. Your choruses are really strong, lean into that! Good work!
Ross Durand - "What the Hell?"
Initial response:
Total respect for the shape and song angle. So good. This grooves and has a message in that fun backhanded way.
Fav lyric:
let’s throw in a forever war
Just never admit that you might fail
Fav musical choice:
Vocals and guitar was all you needed for what feels almost like a protest song. I can hear this at an open mic, you know how to perform. The repeated guitar is my favorite part of the song.
What I'd love to see from you:
Maybe a little more time on lyrics. You have some strong lines happening here, but I feel in other places it feels it could’ve been turned up a notch with a little more time or a few more passes. Nice work!
David Taro - "Tessellations"
Initial response:
I listened straight from beginning to end, read your lyrics, and stared at my scoring categories baffled. Annoyingly good first round entry, and it just kept getting better the farther we went. Genuinely what the heck dude!
Fav lyric:
They can’t divide us
Once they tried, it multiplied us
Tessellating out into the night
Fav musical choice:
I’m not usually one to make notes on production because it’s not my wheelhouse, but your mix is exquisite. The way you add in the instruments and build and pan them throughout the song just really pulls you in. Everything sits just where it should.
What I'd love to see from you:
If I’m going to challenge you, then I think my only note will be that this is a crowd pleaser. A bring it home, sing along, clap along refrain, which is easy to love. What can you do with less? Don’t want you to lose what you do so well, but something where the lyrics do more of the heavy lifting would show your range. Always love your music David!
Paul Dermody - "Making Circles on the Ground"
Initial response:
I’m bobbing along! I love the message, and you have a great performance. It almost took me out of it when I could tell you edited in your vocals over yourself in a few places because it feels like you’re singing live.
Fav lyric:
Forgive but don't forget
Don't forget but do let go
Fav musical choice: The vibe is very “open mic”, in a good way.
What I'd love to see from you:
It’s hard to build dynamics and create emotion when it’s just stripped vocals and guitar, so that’s what I’ll challenge you on! How can you build up and break down and give variety in your melody or chord choices to keep us engaged when it’s just you and the guitar? Some really nice moments here lyrically, keep it up!
Ominous Ride - "Bad Shape"
Initial response:
Another dark horse favorite of the round. I just enjoyed your style of writing and your delivery very much.
Fav lyric:
No circling back
No squaring the past is so good I’m mad I didn’t write it.
Fav musical choice:
Your vocal performance is killer. It has a quality that pulls me in, you are not just singing the words, you’re in it and adding such nice color.
What I'd love to see from you:
I just want to see another angle of you! (See what I did there!) Perhaps something with a chorus that’s sing-a-long-able, a repeated refrain.
Huge Shark - "Spheres"
Initial response:
Your voice is so good it makes me angry, your tone is so clear and clean. I love that this is something fresh in the round and makes me wanna dance. I have a music video in my mind to this.
Fav lyric:
We've been bouncing through the world, not intersecting
Fav musical choice:
The way you cut out and then drop back in, I’m dancing the whole time. This song I feel is a good example of knowing what sound you wanted and pulling it off well.
What I'd love to see from you:
You really do this well, so I’m excited to see you explore this sound more. I do want to challenge you lyrically. Your words carry a lot of emotion, but they still feel a little vague and cerebral, and I think you can do more and hit ‘em harder. Imagining more specific lyrics, a little less of the same repeated phrase, with this sound and your voice, and I'm excited just thinking about it. Great job!!!
Pigfarmer Jr - "Heart-Shaped Pillow"
Initial response:
I love a story song! I love your angle on the challenge and your sound is great, I can hear this in a bar no problem. I can hear the crowd singing “the clues that I’m a fuckup are too strong to ignore” and swaying with a beer in their hand.
Fav lyric:
She flashed me a smile and asked if I could dance
I guess that’s when I wasted
My only second chance
Fav musical choice:
The organ. That’s the secret sauce.
What I'd love to see from you:
I picked that line as my favorite lyric because you turned the line on itself and said something fresh but not cliche (in my opinion). More of that!! Great song!
Stacking Theory - "the shape we’re in"
Initial response:
The conversation between the vocals and bass, slowing us down to focus on the lyrics and voice, the slow introduction of more production elements, the rise and fall of dynamics. This is judge candy. (It’s me, I’m the judge.)
Fav lyric:
once or maybe twice
there was something in your eyes
that led me to believe
we could have it all
but i couldn’t even have you
you had no edge to hold on to
Fav musical choice:
I mean, it has to be the whoa whoa whoa instrumental moment. I half expected you to bust into a full orchestral score with Kill Bill guitars.
What I'd love to see from you:
This was a really incredible start to the round, I love your choices with creative instrumentation and the way you center your lyrics. It’ll always impress me to see different sides of you next time!
Falcon Artist - "The Spire"
Initial response: I like old folk song feel of this. Your vocals have a great character to them.
Fav lyric: Honestly, I like how you end your choruses with “they call it the spire” - it’s a classic folk song turn, I just want to know more about the spire!
Fav musical choice: I don’t know if it’s a choice, but as mentioned, I like your vocals!
What I'd love to see from you:
Get a little closer to the mic, I think this song would’ve landed differently with your vocals higher! This song is very descriptive, my challenge to you would be to see how you can take those lyrics and play into any metaphors to make a message with your song. What did it replace? What does it mean to the people? To you? Keep it up!
David Dolan - "Square in a Round World"
Initial response:
Groovy, and exceptionally re-listenable. Great voice, great guitars. And I dig your message… very relatable, friend.
Fav lyric:
I’ll find my rhythm in my own way
Fav musical choice:
Your wandering guitar lead.
What I'd love to see from you:
Man, it feels hard to even say anything with a song with such a message! I love that! Lean into your squareness and your edges and what you know you want. You have a great voice and clearly know how to put a song together. Next time, maybe less repeats on the chorus, maybe find some more ways to keep it fresh and not too repetitive.
Best Dad In Yorkshire - "Cross It Out"
Initial response:
My favorite part is the melodies and the chorus. This is very catchy and your performance / production keeps what is a fairly short song lyrically from seeming that way. Another dark horse fav of the round.
Fav lyric:
You’re cutting corners with a blunt knife
That’ll scratch the surface, but not much else
Fav musical choice:
I actually really love your instrumental oooh bridge section. This genre is also just an easy thumbs up for me. We’re all shocked.
What I'd love to see from you:
I would love to see more lyrics next time. Quantity does not equal quality, for sure, but it definitely gives us more to chew on when evaluating a song. This worked well because of your production choices. Might be a factor in later rounds, which I hope you’ll make it to!
Cheslain - "Bokeh the Squid"
Initial response:
I have to admit, I just struggled to understand what this song is about. And that weighs heavy for me when evaluating lyrics and execution. Musically, this is quite beautiful.
Fav lyric:
i trip and i stumble
i stumble and i fall
and i fall and i crumble
and merge with the dust
Fav musical choice:
Doot doot dooo doot doot dooo, and your big production on the choruses.
What I'd love to see from you:
You are doing a lot of things really well here. You would likely get a much higher ranking from me in a future round with a clearer topic and intent with your lyrics, although upon reflection, maybe that muddiness was the point of the song. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.
▷ - "Don’t be a, be a"
Initial response:
I’m so glad you chose to lean into the shape thing. I didn’t think I'd like this one but it was surprising and made lots of interesting choices and I love the meta of it all.
Fav lyric:
CHANGE!
Fav musical choice:
The beats are definitely my favorite part!
What I'd love to see from you:
Same advice I’m giving to a few this round. If you’re gonna lean into a fun / comedy song this round, my challenge for you is to go in a different direction next time!
Jennifer Lynne and the Dandelion Rebellion - "If I Don't Pack My Bag"
Initial response:
Girl, this is a SONG. I love a good country ballad. Using a suitcase as the shape of loneliness is a really creative angle and I love you approaching that song in such a personal way.
Fav lyric:
If I don’t pack my bags maybe I won’t have to go, and when my favorite lyric is the hook, i am giddy!
Fav musical choice:
Highlighting your vocals, I love that you are not overproduced, this song feels personal and like a bluebird songwriter round.
What I'd love to see from you:
I would LOVE to hear you harmonizing with yourself. I think it could be amazing.
Hot Pink Halo - "Gather Between The Stars"
Initial response:
This has such a nice build and the track is so thoughtfully arranged and full. For a song about the stars it is definitely making me feel relaxed and ready to go to sleep.
Fav lyric:
And where we don't meet up
We find the ease
Or we fall apart
Fav musical choice:
When you aren’t singing, there’s still so much to listen to: subtle fills on the drums (the drums rule), the little piano fills, the movement in the bass, the little tinklies. Great choices.
What I'd love to see from you:
The music and the arrangement is very engaging and dynamic, but the lyrics are a lot of repetition. I’d love to see how you can build an arc with your lyrics as well. Also, when the piano built really big towards the end, I loved where you were going but it was a little out of sync with everything else. You get that sorted and you’re gonna blow everyone away. (And if you figure out how to do that, let me know, lol. Piano is rough, dude.)
Vom Vorton - "Out of Shape"
Initial response:
This could easily fit one of my go-to playlists. I love how it rolls along and your lyric style really matches the sound. A really nice arc with your sections, building and then coming back down. A great track.
Fav lyric:
you have salt and sunshine running through your veins
and I look like a computer. (This is just an insane line, i love.)
Fav musical choice:
I was not expecting the bah bah bah’s! You also surprised me with some of your more electronic choices and you know what, I like being surprised. I also like how you used different effects on your voice throughout the song.
What I'd love to see from you:
I just want more of this in every different flavor. I want to know your version on a big “the whole crowd screams along” song.
Jealous Brother - “Hexagons”
Initial response:
I thought this was a pretty creative song angle! I really appreciate a song that meets the challenge but has its own life and I think this does that.
Fav lyric:
We were raw, eat your heart out with a spoon
Fav musical choice:
The riff at the beginning and at the end, and I like when a major chord verse goes into a minor chord chorus, otherwise it might have been too “sweet.”
What I'd love to see from you:
Rock even harder. Or not, I don’t know what the other judges might tell you, but I think you’ve got a great sound and you could rock harder!
The Dreams Corporation - “Tesseracts”
Initial response:
Tangent, but I watch a lot of Gravity Falls with my daughter, and all I could think listening to this is that it sounds like a song from Bill Cypher. You might have written a number to the Gravity Falls Weirdmageddon musical without realizing. Gotta give you the props for giving me something I wasn’t expecting!
Fav lyric:
paint a canvas with the darkest purples, dont know if thats enough-
to get across the things i've seen in red skies poured in black
Fav musical choice:
The sound you are using throughout 1:00-2:00, it reminds me of score for the video game Stray. Honestly, without the vocals this has a lot of the bones of a stellar video game score.
What I'd love to see from you:
The way you are putting sounds together is really cool, and at the end of the day your music DOES affect emotionally and that’s what I look for. But my ranking for you was lower just because it feels like your lyrics need more attention with so much going on. It’s also probably longer than it needs to be. I wanna see you use these superpowers with some stronger lyrics and a catchier song structure.
West of Vine - “A Hole Shaped Like Ohio”
Initial response:
A unique angle on the song challenge, well done! This has story, emotional punch, and some really nice lyric wrangling. Cigarette with Connecticut, my dude, I love it.
Fav lyric:
“had a couple kids, it’s pretty nice” the way you sing this has been stuck in my head all week. But I really love “I knew they might move away, they were raised by those who didn’t stay.”
Fav musical choice:
How your verses never stop to rest, it matches the story, continually moving.
What I'd love to see from you:
Your lyrics are one of your strengths, but there were just a few places where I think you could tighten up how they land. Also, I’d like to hear some more dynamic range: some build, some tension and release, and a little more variety in your chord structures or perhaps adding more instruments in some places (if you have the ability). Great job!
The Moon Bureau - "Your Geometric Dreams"
Initial response:
This is fun! Some great guitar sounds here, good vibes.
Fav lyric:
“As a circle I’d be found if that meant that you might hang around,” and genuinely, “the shape where you love me” is a great hook.
Fav musical choice:
The ba-dat-dat-dah cannot be overlooked. I love the surprise glock. And I love your vocal harmonies! Trapezooooid is my favorite.
What I'd love to see from you:
I’ve heard so much of your music over the years and you know what you’re doing! If I had to give any recommendation, I’d say, surprise me with something new! Great work.
Cosmic Ray Corruption - "Trapped in a Hypertorus"
Initial response:
I like your track and beat, the sound reminds me of boomwhackers which catches the ear for sure. The sounds in the bridge are really fun. Intentional or not, your lyrics remind me of The Stanley Parable, which is a creative angle.
Fav lyric:
“No boundaries, no edges
Seemingly infinite and endless,” mostly I love your delivery on this.
Fav musical choice:
Gotta be the boomwhacker sound.
What I'd love to see from you:
Your verse, your bridge and outro are the parts that I love most. The bridge would’ve made a good “chorus” / refrain here, from a “catchiness” angle. Lean more into that and also, give us some more to judge! This feels longer than it is, but I would love to see your song past the 2-minute mark.
Carrie Spillane - "The Shape of Our Goodbye"
Initial response:
Genuinely, the first response was, “Damn, Carrie.” You made the right choice to lean into your vocals with the lovely piano supporting. In a round that was easy to lean funny or cerebral, you decided to break our hearts, and you nailed it.
Fav lyric:
I struggle to pick one, because you do a really incredible job here, and I think the thing I love is your rhyme scheme. I can tell you write at your piano. You are singing what feels right, even if it’s a slant rhyme or going in an unexpected direction, and I can tell you gave it a lot of focus.
Fav musical choice:
I love that you stayed very restrained on your arrangement, the harmonies and strings coming in when they did and only staying for a moment fit the song topic very nicely.
What I'd love to see from you:
You know your strengths, but this song has all the indications that you can write a lot of different styles. You broke my heart, and by god feel free to keep doing it, but I’d love to see what you do with a faster tempo. Fantastic work.
No comments:
Post a Comment