Time left




Sunday, September 27, 2026

ST26 R2 Reviews and Rankings - Mo

Here are your Round 2 rankings from Mo:

1traumadolls
2Cheslain
3Ironbark
4The Pannacotta Army
5Sober
6Sunflower Bastard
7Stefan Szabo
8Carrie Spillane
9Flintsteel
10miscellaneous owl
11Best Dad In Yorkshire
12Hot Pink Halo
13The Dreams Corporation
14Jealous Brother
15The Moon Bureau
16Jennifer Lynne and the Dandelion Rebellion
17Nathan Joe Long
18chewmeupspitmeout
19Huge Shark
20West of Vine
21Cosmic Ray Corruption
22Stacking Theory
23Berkeley Social Scene
24David Taro
25Vom Vorton
26Ominous Ride
27Brother Baker
28Paul Dermody
29the profane bells
30Star Bear
31Pigfarmer Jr

Read on for Mo's reviews!

Ramblin’ here ‘cause I’m squirrelly… type really fast… and probably kinda lonely.  My extended challenge for Round THREE—  

Yes, Ed Sheerans of the world, you can’t “copyright a chord sequence.”  

Yes, I understand 1-4-5… and its progressive relatives… end up sounding “like everyone and  everything” after a bit. That being said, I reward originality-in-sound heavily, see: my bio, and  The Dreams Corporation reviews, Round 1… & 2. LOL. Watch your ‘innocent interpolations.’  

To my poor[er] musicians: some of us can’t afford that band, or shrine of equipment: I get that.  Hell, I can’t. I just wrote my NYT bestseller on a TV tray sittin’ on a cheap hemorrhoid pillow. No  shame. (Note: not a bestseller… yet. And my donut pillow is dope. I’m sittin’ kinda pretty.)  Please know I judge with that in mind, even in later rounds.  

As someone who grew up in a bumpkin holler (like Dolly, RIP. *more blubber tears*), I have an  experienced-enough ear to recognize who has raw talent/musicianship vs. those who polish  groovy turds with production. :) I do love a groovy polished turd every now and then, though. I  adore Mr. Hankey.  

A lot of songs this round ran a li’l long to me. Maybe this was because I [still] had so many to  review? But yeah… a lot ran over 4 minutes, and most of that length didn’t feel earned. For what  it’s worth—my “sweet spot” is ~3 minutes. Some of you know how to earn your time, I respect  that.  

I love how you folks are tryin’ to get me into solos. So cute. More were earned this round. :)  Some of y’all skipped rank because I enjoyed your lyrics so much.  

Notable (not best) melisma of the round: Taco Bell Parking Lot. :D  

I cackled ’til I seriously got underbewb sweat. Pardon the visual. Thanks, Mabel. Live más.  

Y’all hit up Also In Blue and tell ’em they better be workin’ on that kids’ album. I missed them  (and others).  

Apologies for not going as in-depth this round. Hell, I may have done just fine. I don’t know. I  have only a week… three squirrelly kids, not including hubby and self… AND I JUST FINISHED  MY FIRST BOOK, Y’ALL!!! (September 21st. Last day of summer.) DOG DAYS ARE OVER!!!! I  WROTE A BOOK!!!!!!! I FINALLY DID IT!!!!!!!!! MY PINBALLIN’ BRAIN BIRTHED A  BOOK-BABY!!!!  

Okay, y’all don’t know me and probably don’t care (it’s cool). I’ll shush. :-P 

Pardon the typos and tangents—free-associating is my favorite… as it feels like an opportunity to  have a straight-lined convo with you. Hope it helps.  

(Paragraphing things would take my editorial mindscape 3 months.)  

Aksdfhjaoiweuroiauweifsdjfa-wooooo-weee-pee-weeeeeboogers, let’s go!  Good luck. Keep progressing.  

Melodically yours,  

Mo  

P.S. If you get cut—it was a joy listening to you.  

Keep playing, pweeeze!  

P.P.S. I set spacing in this document to 1.0/single… so if there are 4+ empty lines between my  ‘thoughts,’ sorry—it’s a formatting issue, I suppose. I don’t have ‘the spoons’ to fix it. :-P  (I work in Scrivener, mostly.)  

SUNFLOWER BASTARD - Replicant  

Ah, my new favorite bastard. How’s it goin’?  

Portal time. Am I about to be beamed into some funky dimension?  

Are we in ‘Spaceballs’? Ooooo, I like this beat… is Tricky here?  

Feeling some mismatch this time with your voice (still awesome) and those effects.  Man, you pick cool FX. Nice melisma. ;)  

Your OOs could be a tad bit more confident. Maybe go LOOOOOWWWWWW.  I love your voice, dammit.  

I do like those FX but yeah, they don’t mesh with your vox. I’m expecting Katy Perry to pop in  and say ‘Hi’ or somethin’’… I’d prefer Gaga, though.  

I love the way you say “darling” adorable lol  

The high notes are actually hurting you in this one, not because you can’t hit them, but because I  think you should’ve gone the other way.  

Oh, who’s this? Is this you speaking?  

“What do you do?” “… I don’t know”…. interesting lyrical weaving here. 

You are like the songwriting version of a quilter lol Does that make ANY sense?  Like, you make one killer motley quilt of a song.  

Interesting build, could’ve landed with more BOOM.  

2:40—After that spoken word, I wanted the STADIUM back. Missed opportunity. lol  Yeah, I think this song would’ve gone next level if you had went low instead of high on those  notes. (I prefer bass-y vox, I’m not a big fan of Usher for this reason… his fave song of mine is  that Sesame Street ABC song. Listen to it, it’ll get stuck in your head. You’re welcome.)  

I like all these bleep-bloops. You make good bleep-bloops.  

Man, what’s your production set-up like?  

Lyrical concept kinda reminded me of the movie, Multiplicity.  

GIMME BIG BAND STUFF, ya solar BASTARD.  

BRING OUT THE HORNS.  

If you can find a way to blend those industrial-akin pew-pew FX with Frank Sinatra, I will buy  you a pizza. Gotta make it cheap, though. :-P I can’t afford too many toppings. Wait… aren’t you  in IE somewheres? Damn. I’ll draw you a pizza. Or I’ll have my son draw you one. He’s better  than me.  

“I need more liiiiiiiiii-ke…” Sinatra. :-P  

Nice fade out.  

“questions by gizo” nice.  

I think my hubby’s sent gizo some ‘Merica swag before lol (gizo gifted my hubby a shirt and it’s  AWESOME. He wears like every week.) Aww, HPH! I’m about to review theirs!  

The second time I listened to this… at the intro, I wanted TLC to come in lol.. like “Waterfalls”  or something.  

Can you write a song on how to do laundry?  

I’d like to play it for my kids. (Mama tired.) I know you could make it epic. Bring the stadium.  

This one crept UP in rankings. Damn you, Sunshine Bastard… you’re a slow burn. Need some  aloe.  

I came back to say TAKE ME TO OLIVE GARDEN.  

(It’s the land of Sinatra radio. And I want breadsticks.) 

HOT PINK HALO - 42Ks in your KT-26s  

I’m intrigued by this title.  

Reminds me of Devo’s “Whip It”… similar driving NRG.  

That “ruuuuu-uuuuunnn” could use a layer to bring it out. Interesting lyric cadence, at first I  thought it was too fast… but I think it works given the content. Maybe a lower-registered layer.  

I want something to accompany your ruuuuuuuun part.  

I ran track in high school (400m and 4-100m relay… shot-put & discus), so I’m wanting more  track sounds. Lol Like the “[take your] mark”, the ‘gun,’ but maybe I’m just feeling too  Olympiad right now… actually no, I’m realizing how out of shape I am. I really needed this song.  My cheap li’l treadmill is literally to my left… I could…. nah, I gotta review. ;)  

My biggest flag is the FX used… sounds sorta 80s and is just taste… but fits the vibe… the shoe.  Hey, the shoe fits! lol  

42K in a shoe. I need to read your lyrics to make sure this IS a shoe.  

That airy intermission ordeal was well-executed.  

Oh, you mean DISTANCE not $$$… sorry, had a ‘Merica Moment there. LOL. I was like “that’s  a LOT of money in a shoe. Are they a drug dealer?” I feel dumb. So dumb. Brain is re-calibrated  now. International mode.  

You have a solid structure. I love 1:35ish… bringing me back to the starrrrsssssss. Weeeeeeeee,  I”m floatinggggggg. I like the latter part of the song better than the first.  

2:20 needs to be a taaaaad fuller and softer in the mix.  

Love the way you say “distance,” good punch!  

I want you to lose your breath at some point in the song… like you’re out of breath from running  lol. Or even some like actual jogs-hitting-ground sounds. It would make for a cool percussive  beat here.  

1:32—-oh niceeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I’m floating againnnnnnnnnnn. I love this part.  1:56—what did you add there? I likey.  

.  

Nice lyrical delivery. Punchy, fits the FX… vibe. Consistent yet variable. You give me decent  dynamics here.  

Good layer (sorry, back after last listen… forgot to note timestamp here… there was a good layer  somewhere lol). It was around 2:16 I think? 

The chorus could use more dynamic in the bass…. a cool bassline would take this next level.  I could hear this at a skating rink. (I’ve been all about skating lately, I guess. Blame that  Sunshine Bastard.)  

You really challenged yourself with that melisma and I will make a note of it. :)  This is catchy. I may actually walk on my treadmill today.  

I was right about the shoe! (Just read your lyric bio!)  

This is a sweet homage to your dad.  

After reading that I was thinking a cute li’l spoken word convo between a dad and daughter  added to this song would be soooo adorable. Like “long-distance advice”… eh, maybe I’m just a  sucker for [healthy] family feelings.  

These lyrics are great life advice.  

Update: I walked on my treadmill. Jogging felt hilarious ridiculous. I need a new bra.  Thanks for the inspiration. ;)  

THE PANNACOTTA ARMY - Chime  

Shakers. This must be chill. Lemme see…  

Y’all got some good production. I don’t usually note this because it’s not my expertise, but it’s  notable to someone like me—so that’s a big compliment.  

You add interesting li’l bits of instrumenation—all your components have a part. Nothing shines  too much, everything blends well… like sugar in peach tea. Variety. Yeah, that’s the word.  Y’all are a good example of a college radio sound that doesn’t STAY college radio… it’s that  extra instrumentation. You folks seem to go beyond “Local Shots.” I admitted got very bored of  what was on my alma mater’s station. Same stuff… progressions… vocal reaches… thank you for  being different.  

This feels full in a minimal way. I think y’all have a gift for that. I either like production rage  from Reznor or Timbaland or something simple like Norah Brown on banjo. Y’all mess up my  calibration… in a good way.  

Good stable, controlled vox. I can actually HEAR your lyrics… pet peeve when I can’t.  This reminds me of a tempo-adjusted “When It’s Over” (Sugar Ray)…. 

You have good vocal control…. wait, didn’t I just say that? Maybe bring out the “CHIME” a  taaaaaad more…  

Echoey here—trying to see if it works for my ears; will report back after another listen.  Back again: it’s good.  

My concern is after two songs, y’all have a distinct “sound” already. This can be good or not,  I’ll see in Round 3. Y’all sound like if Sugar Ray dude got his gravel smoothed out and decided  to stop drinkin’ and play Settlers of Catan with Jack Johnson.  

Note: unsure if dude from Sugar Ray drank, I added that for narrative effect.  

Consider adding more FX that sound like chimes… I wanna hear wind chimes… a funky bell…  ringtone…. but intwined subtly and cleverly, ya know? I just get a shaker and a ping-ping sweet  sound in the background. CHIME ME (more). lol.  

This sounds really sweet. You and Also In Blue would work well together.  

(Where did they go, btw??? They better be workin’ for ‘Danny Go!’ now. Missed them.)  I’ll see y’all in Round Three. If y’all get cut… I’ll be concerned.  

I’m ranking y’all #4. :) I almost had ya bronze, but Ironbark edged you out ever-so-slightly with  that originality-in-sound I’m after. So if you want to medal with me next time—lay into something  a taaaad different. Or stay home, but invite a visitor—an unexpected lady duet? Trombone?  Didgeridoo? Make me notice something honestly different. You know what to do. I believe in you.  ;) Great job.  

TRAUMADOLLS - Who You Are  

Judge Hubby @ 6:46am (getting up kids for school) on the first day of fall,  post-listening party (was asleep for it, sorry):  

 “You’re gonna like what traumadolls did.”  

AM I? Well, hell… let’s see…  

OOOooooooooo. I need more punch in the bass. I’ll give another listen.  

Vox mesh well with this sound. Thought this before.  

NEVERMIND. The bass be good at the start… I’m listening with better speakers. ;)  

THIS IS SEXY-COO’. Hubby was right!  

“… rivers.” could’ve gone even sexier…. jus’ sayin’… (back to say: same with “attic”) 

LOVE YOUR FX. This is remix worthy…. If you remix, add more lasers or pew-pews. I wanna  grind a pole. Wait… that sounds off-putting. I wanna go hard at a rave. Without the drugs.  

Got quiet randomly in the mix? Lemme re-check after another listen.  

Nice chorus. Maybe fill it out with more bass end. It’ll bring up the higher notes in the vox.  2nd listen on better speakers—yeah, give me more on the low-end to fill out that chorus… it  sounds… just a taaaaad high… not empty… just need some fullness, I guess.  

I love the natural kinda grit in your voice. Use it for good (see my last note about fry).  

Ooooo the comeback to the verse is nice. This is coo’. Maybe need more BASS. I wanna feel it in  my butt. Oh, god. I actually just said that. The muscles, man. Not actually IN my butt. Oh, god  what have I done? I almost backspaced all that, but said f*** it. Enjoy.  

This sounds like “Crawling” by Linkin Park meets… somethin’ else from that era lol (maybe I’ll  think of it next listen). Deftones-y/Filter vibe. I like this a lot. Thank you.  

Giving me the right amount of FX, also thank you.  

I bet you could do whispery type vox well… if you’re going for that crawling-toward-you sexy  sound. Maybe try that sometime… I wish I had an example. All I got is Madonna or Enigma, and  you don’t need to go for that LOL… well, maybe… in your own style. Ponder that mess.  

This round has introduced me to so many twinkles and interesting sound FX, yours are some of  my fave.  

Yeah man… gimme more dynamics in that chorus.  

Do some push-ups, clap, then scream/growl at meeeeeeeeeeee. Listen how Chino wails… he’s in  your register, I think… good for practicing holds, but don’t lose your own voice/originality. I like  what you do.  

3:19—scratchin’ my Reznor itch a bit. Love it… you do that jus’ for me?? ;)  

Can you rap? I’d like to hear you rap. Not like Beastie Boys, but like smoo-V. Like that spoken word smooth-operator kinda stuff. Oh, lawd what am I tryin’ to say… take Luscious Jackson but  make them dudely… lol that kinda rap. Tricky… yeah… or him… or Kode 9 & Spaceape fellas…  somethin’ smooV that flow… just something to try out if you’re bored. I love how Janet Jackson  raps in “If” (one of my faves)… that lowwww kinda seductive flow… try that sometime. It’d be  different. People tend to cling to different done well.  

Your band meshes most with my actual auditory interest. If you start adding more angst and  elephant pew-pews into your FX, holla! Love this Filter-y/Deftones-y… Reznor-sounding stuff 

haha or hell, look into a Timbaland beat. I really wanna dance to this; this has club potential  (you have a sound that could have one album, and then a DJ-remixed one)… Heck, even a quirky  MGMT “Kids” kinda flair—I bet that’d be fun… you could branch out from this so well. Don’t  stick to one vibe. I appreciate how you differentiated your sound ‘just enough’ from round one.  Try that again, if you can.  

Your EQing is notable. Nothing screams tooooooo uneven to me. I’m sure my hubby will have fun  giving you all sorts or production input.  

Pushing a little long. But you kept my interest. Maybe consider cutting a few darlings if you keep  this one around. It’s a banger.  

4:10… arrrrrrrrrghhhhrrhhrhhhrrrrrrreeeeee” sounds a li’l hoarse there…. maybe add a  crescendoing effect, or flatten your tongue (tongue-planed 180 degrees)… raise eyebrows,  engage abs… add more volume… like in the chorus. ;)  

And I ain’t likin’ y’all jus’ cuz I found out one of your names is Mo. :-P (Bonus.)  This is dope. Top-5 already after first listen.  

Yeah, I’m back to give ya more feedback:  

work on FRY SCREAMS. It will change you. The vox can do it; I can HEAR the ability.  It may boost the 4:10 part. Actually, I’m confident it will.  

You give me Richard Patrick vibes with this one. I had to look up his name. I feel so ashamed.  I’m getting old[er], okay! I suck with names.  

Maybe break up that repetition of “kind” in the lyrics. With the minimalism, you need every word  to count. And doubling on a word like “kind” kinda hurts you here (in my poetic eye). Arguably  the same with “nice.” I think you could find another word that would deepen the inquiry.  

Sorry if the other judges don’t agree with me. It will be taste, I’m sure. This production is well  done to me. I really, really like this. This is my peach tea.  

Now, go make me some french FRYs.  

Y’ALL EARNED MY GOLD!!!  

So deserved. I feel like you actually read my reviews from Round One—or got insanely lucky  having a me as a judge. ;) Neat FX that earn their airplay, kinda sexy (okay, I grew up on  Madonna, Gillette, Lords of Acid & Enigma… Timbaland… man… can’t help myself haha). Your  lyrics were simplistic, but have that subtle deepness that invokes inquiry. I write a quite a bit of  minimalistic poetry, so I kinda eat that sh*t up. Man, I want your music to have a dance beat,  though. Right now it’s pole-dancing material… I want the pole to move like the inflatable tube 

man. (I used to breakdance, sorry. And I love me some Timothy Mosley.) If you get cut, I will  rage… I will actually throw a stuffie across the room. And I have a good arm. I was a  shortstop. :-P Good job, guys.  

COSMIC RAY CORRUPTION - Disappointment  

Interesting intro. Sounds like a weird metal zipper on some robotic JNCOs.  I feel these lyrics… I feel like a disappointment every day—with ya, buddy. haha  

I’m in a “mood,” so these lyrics are sitting good for me today. This has 311 and Sublime… even  Mighty Mighty Bosstones vibes, minus the horns… okay that one zippered FX is starting to grate  me a bit. It needs another element to match, or needs to soften… or gradually disappear in the  mix, I think?  

Cymbals? I don’t know what that is… sounds staticky… yeah, I think it’s cymbals. Soften them,  pweeze.  

The vox needs to wail more with the chorus. It sounds baseline when I need to FEEL HOW  DISAPPOINTING YOU ARE. LOL. (I’m sure you’re not a disappointment. If you feel like one,  consider where the weeds in your garden are. Pluck ‘em.)  

The balance in the mix is about the most I have to critique here. Like, this sounds pretty genre-fit,  I just think the vox are a li’l uneven compared to the rest. Simple mastering pass.  

This chorus is giving me familiar vibes…  

“You only love the doormat in your head.” Interestingggg.  

These lyrics are catchy. lol I feel them today. Seriously. I listened to this on a good day for it.  

After a 2nd listen… realizing you submitted something COMPLETELY different sound-wise this  time. I was like “wait… is this hopscotch guy?” Haha Nice.  

Yep, we don’t “need” anyone… after a certain point. Once we can wipe our own face, body, and  butt we’re pretty good, aren’t we? ;)  

Came back to tell you, I love that you weren’t afraid to go somewhere else genre-wise. You did  both fairly well. Is there a way you can combine your sounds from the two rounds? I’d LOVE to  hear that executed somehow. ;) 

CHESLAIN - Apostasy  

Nice chill opening. Nice layered vox. Was hoping you’d veer away from the echoey/atmospheric  vibe this round, but this must be your “sound,” and for that I understand. Nice guitar. Seal vibes,  fo’ sho.  

Lawd. You’re like a near-4-minute dose of Hydroxyzine. This is relaxing, and I don’t wanna  sneeze.  

I’m breathing, man. Bracing… ahhh is that an organ FX?  

I wanna bark because you sound like Seal. I love Seal. (I love seals, too.)  

OOOoooooo. 1:30ish be coo’. Ahh, I’m swimming in the shallow end.  

Love that I can fully understand your vocal. Sometimes atmospheric FX cloud lyrics. I’m a  HEARD-lyric person. Beautiful chorus. I write a lot of narrative poetry… so I love this narrative  in your songwriting. You’re like a choral storyteller; I know that makes li’l sense. Lol  

Still nice guitar. Nice swell, nice build. You know how to build a SONG appropriately. Nice. I  FEEL your narrative, so this is captivating for me.  

I think maybe holding out that organ-esque FX and holding it at the ending vs. just a cut-off  would’ve been more effective?  

Ah, again beautiful nice guitar. I like this. Nice pickin’. My hubby and I are still arguing over  who you sound like. LOL.  

I don’t know why… where you have such a mellow voice, I want to hear it against some like  drums that build… I don’t know. Or more just straight acoustic? This is two atmospheric songs in  a row that complement each other. Round 3—can you give me something… away from this genre,  even slightly? I love your floaty, though. If you don’t wanna leave home, I get it. :) Lovely.  

I always want to listen to you after traumadolls. Y’all give me the build and release I need. I also  tend to rank y’all close together.  

Something about this intro reminds me of “Unforgiven” Metallica. I came back to mention  this. :)  

YOU EARNED MY SILVER!!!  

Your production and voice are so lovely. This is so relaxing. 

I’m one stressed out squirrel and your music is like the best dose of hydroxyzine (with the added  antihistamine effect!). Do you do a lot of flamenco? Make me notice something different next  time. Hope you don’t get cut… I’ve been surprised before.  

I love reading your lyrics and look forward to hearing/reading what you come up with next  round. Stay smooV.  

. 

JENNIFER LYNNE AND THE DANDELION REBELLION - Hope Is  

This is a Motown / The Crystals / The Platters vibe. Your voice is sooooo beautiful. Reminds me  of old Disney movies…. Ohhh what’s her name…. Helen something (she sang that song in Pete’s  Dragon, “Candle on the Water” LOVE THAT SONG) Oh, and there’s a song from the  Sleepwalkers soundtrack… yes, Stephen King…. ahh… it’s the ones the monsters dance to… this  is what it reminds me of… I love that song… wait, is this that song? Wait… it… is?  Movin’ on…  

Oh, such sweet melisma. Good job.  

I’ll say it again… you sound like my ol’ turntable.  

Your voice is so lovely. You could do so much with it. Heck, you can even do pop (don’t, please).  This still reminds me of ridin’ around with my Dad in his truck. I miss him.  

After a few listens: I say this as a hypocrite who loves loves loves loves a good old-school rap  beat/sample taken from some funky jam in the 70s—I had to dock juuuuust a bit on my own  “originality” scale. (You’re definitely not the only one.)  

Listen to Santo & Johnny “Sleep Walk.” GREAT SONG. Just… see what I mean? And yeah, I  know… a lot from this era sounded ‘alike’… I know… :) This song just isn’t in the public domain  yet (I looked, I think it will be in 2055?). I’ve had to deal with a lot of copyright stuff in poetry  and screenwriting, so I like to look out for my artsy folk. <3  

I’ll note you showed me enough VARIABILITY to not go all hammerhead like I did with a  contestant last round. Your song doesn’t scream, “OMG THIS IS TOTALLY THE SAME  SONG!!!” (It helps that there’s no lyrics in the original 1959 recording.) Your melody adds a  lovely element to this familiar recording. It crosses genre. Again, I LOVE your voice. So, so  pretty. Do you play piano? (I feel like I’ve asked EVERY contestant this… sorry)… A harp with  your voice…. OMGoooooodness. Piano and harp would probably make me melt with your vox.  Angelic. You may have my fave lady vox of the round, I’ll have to do several listens.  

Lyrical bio was sweet. Enjoyed reading it. 

I fear a judge will dock you for not having “more in the mix,” but know I LOVE and respect the  rawness, simplicity of it. I grew up listening to just bare-bones kinda stuff. Sometime less is more  for me, and other times ‘too much is just right,’ depends on my mood lol. I want you to do more  Reba flair, maybe? I wanna hear some grit, still lol Reba’s got that grit. Put on a red dress, that  might help.  

HELEN REDDY WAS HER NAME! She was my childhood Disney queen lol.  Sorry. Had to come back to tell ya. ;)  

Don’t let my ranking get ya down. It’s my ‘Sleep Walk’ concern that dropped you quite a bit.  Your voice is Top 10 to me. :)  

OH, and I wanted to come back again and say that your voice reminds me of that Bath & Body  Works scent I used to wear in high school: Plumeria? It was so sweet and floral. That mixed with  Country Apple… yes, you sound like a blend of those smells. LOL Now I wanna stand in some  wildflowers, or something. It must be that dandelion rebellion.  

Okay, I can’t shut up. (Sorry, I’m country.) Speakin’ of dandelions—I found this quote on a tea  bag and kept it… wanted to share, “The difference between a flower and a weed is a judgment.”  We welcome dandelions in our yard, jus’ sayin’. My hubby sometimes eats them. He’s half-goat.  

HUGE SHARK - Faraway  

PIANOOOOOO. YESSSSSSSS.  

Annie’s back. You still have that lovely voice, too.  

I will say I wish you had started out a little more somber, and then build toward that higher  register. Gosh, I love piano. You stress your vowels well. You hit them with decent stability.  

Ooooo,,. Nice lower notes. Get confident, girl!!!! Use your ABS to get those lowers out. Lift  those eyebrows. Bend over, and raise your body as you sing it up’n out. You got this! I believe in  you!  

:47 love the piano around here, is that you playing? :)  

1:17ish—Cute layer on the vocal. It does help there.  

I can tell you’ve gotten more comfortable as the song has progressed given how sweet your  vibrato is (work with that more, I hear a good one in there; so pretty). 

2:10ish—on that low note… I want you to take it high at the end… like almost like Aguilera, but  not thaaaat dramatic.  

“fi-yeet” fight… maybe another way of phrasing it.  

That piano is so great. Maybe bring it louder in the mix and soften the vox? Even out the mix a  tad. Such a sweet piano accompanying you. Good call for the round. I knew your voice would  shine with one. :)  

I feel like I want something a little in the bass area to add a li’l fullness. Cello? Wait I hear one?  Maybe bring it out more. I like feeling that bass-end in my chest.  

Not big on the cymbals… maybe a different effect. (I’m not much of a cymbal person haha)  Much better dynamics this round. Very proud of you. :)  

Came back to tell ya I still love that piano. :) 

BEST DAD IN YORKSHIRE - Common Sense  

Daddy’s back. LOL. He’s talkin’ common sense now. Are we talking about the poor penny (re:  U.S. Common Sense Act). RIP pennies. I rolled change for college with pennies. Oh, shut up Mo.  

This opening rhythm is taking me to early-college. Not sure what that means yet hahaha  I like this one better than last round. :)  

Nice guitarin’. Nice balance with the mix. Nothing seems to overpower the other, at first listen.  

I want you to scream. Did I tell you this last round? Like… hold out a note “ahhhhhhhhhh”…  0:46—heard a li’l grit in one of your words and I got a li’l excited. Not in thaaaaat way. (And I  totally had to rewind this 28347982372 times to get the timestamp…  

Oooo… I love your pacing in this song. Most improved from Round 1, so far. Or maybe I’m just  relating to this song of yours more?  

1:21—a li’l overpowering to my ears, could be taste. Nice fx tho.  

1:40ish—like this transition & 2:00  

The se-eh-ense… it’s ‘off’ but I love it. It works here, I think. 

I feel like there some element missing in this… maybe a dope, groovy baseline (I do hear one)…  it seems it needs fullness in the low-end. I’ll note anything worth noting regarding this after more  listens.  

Gang of Four vibes. My hubby listens to them almost every road trip.  

Okay, you’ll appreciate this as a dad… (I’m assuming you are really a dad)… I had to listen to  your song the most… why? EVERY SINGLE TIME I would pull up your song… I got distracted.  Sound like being a parent? Call it fate, I guess.  

I like this one of yours much better than last round.  

I like how your titles sound like dad advice in a way hahaha  

Good job, Dad. :)  

STACKING THEORY - no  

I love your accent.  

But *I* love the rain… wait, this ain’t about me.  

I like the slow tempo, but I’m wanting it to speed up…  

There’s that The Cure sound (1:17)… lol I hear it again… lol  

That “Iiiaiiaiiiiiiiiii…” reminds me a li’l of Maynard James Keenan / Tool…. “Parabola”  maybe?  

Yeah, my biggest note on this song is this needs to vary the tempo. I’m kinda… dragging…  there is an FX added midway through the song, but it needs to come sooner in the song.  

2:34ish—comes in kinda loud in the mix. Sounds cool, though  

Oooo I like that heavy FX. BOOM-BOOMz. …. oooo 3:10 is coo’.  

Man, these are cool near the end… they need to come SOONER!!!  

I bet you could cut this song a bit, and it’d be better. Those neat FX take way too long to come in.  Not sure if that breathing works near the end?  

Cut this song by a minute, bring those cool stuff at the 2:34 mark earlier.  

Easy peasy, boom, banger.  

Can you just read me poetry? One of my favorites is Wordsworth’s, “I Wandered Lonely as a  Cloud.” I also love Silverstein. Please, and thank you. :-P 

Love your spoken word. I like your Pink Floyd-ish kinda vibe, too. Lean more into that vs. The  Cure. ‘The Cure sound’ makes me worry more about folks’ mental health too much.  

BERKELEY SOCIAL SCENE - Whatever’s Clever  

Alma mater radio.  

I like that quirky FX. (:20/1:07)  

“dooooooo” cute.  

Not much for :34… needs fullness  

Solo—look at you taking a risk knowing I’m a bastard with them… yours was… ok. I’ll allow it  haha  

I’m not getting the build I want in the chorus. Loses balance.  

Yeah after another listen, the chorus is the weakest link for me. Some unevenness to my ears, but  this may’ve been intentional? I don’t know why I’m hearing more in my right ear? I’ll put on my  earbuds next listen. :)  

I’d imagine all my buddies who worked at the station of my alma mater would love this, but it’s  just… not my taste. You sound like college radio, but I’m not much for college radio. Ah, it’s not  YOU… I promise. I just… have heard this particular “sound” way way too much. Y’all need like  an instrument that… makes you stand out but not ridiculously. Or a vibe, I don’t know. I want to  give you something helpful, but I’m feeling like I’m just an idiot.  

Maybe sing a lower octave and pick up an acoustic?  

Oh, lord ANOTHER solo??? You brave, hun. I respect that. You try’na change me, like Oprah.  …. better than what I hear from most contestants, but I still think it’s fill vs. flair. I’m not a big  solo person, sorry. You did well on it, though. ;) *clap* interesting vocal accompaniment there.  

Too much crash in that cymbal… my husband (other judge, and a drummer himself) can tell you  how I feel about cymbals. Too much unnecessary crash literally hurts my head. No, seriously. I  even have to turn down Danny Carey sometimes. I also have bad memories from band… cymbals  + pediatric migraines. Lol  

Back to say: yeah, that chorus isn’t doing much for me. Needs some punch!  You hit ooo0000OOOoooo so cutely. Is cutely a word. My autocorrect ain’t hollerin’ at me yet. 

CHEWMEUPSPITMEOUT - Howling at the Moon  

Sounds like something from Friday Night Lights haha.  

This is nice. Lovin’ the intro.  

Vox came in a taaaaad high to me. Still groovy.  

:43—come in with your voice sounding more relaxed like right here.  

This is groovier than last round. Good job. 1:16 around here givin’ my The Cure vibes… and  now something a li’l more 70s.  

I like how some of that guitar actually sounds like howling at the moon. Was that intentional?  Sometimes things are subconscious. I want you to have a howling sound somewhere, but hell  that’d probably ruin it… dunno.  

This sounds like a much better fit for you vs. last round. Go into more of the somber side of your  tessitura with this vibe.  

2:58—and there’s a change!!!!!!!  

NICE!!!! Good. But have your vox match this transition. HOWLING AT MOOOOOOOOON…  not meh-groaning at it.  

I wanna wear a 3-wolf moon shirt while listening to this.  

MUCH better from last round to me. :)  

NATHAN JOE LONG - Alright  

I love your voice, still. This sounds like a slooooowed Everlast, “What It’s Like.”  

Gosh, I love your voice. My biggest note with you is when I listen to your backing, it just sounds  too much like a song I’ve heard before. Your last one sounded a lot like Plain White Ts and this  one sounds hella Everlast. (I do wonder if you and I have the same CD binder and that’s why I’m  being squirrelly about it lol.) I do dock for any hints of interpolation… but sometimes we just do  it honestly… hmm… this is why I also enjoy pickin’ so much vs. strum. It’s harder for my ear to  notice similarity in note-series vs strummed echo—does that make any sense? Sorry, I ramble.  

Interesting chorus—you need a strong female layer vox there. Now I don’t hear the Everlast so  much, but I do in the verses. 

Explore augmented chords… or something in the… dorian arena… (opportunity to learn some  theory!)… your voice would sound cool dorian… mountain minor-ish. Man, I think you need  some banjo… wait… did you add banjo there??? Do I hear a whisper of one? Who is that?  

This has a happy vibe.  

3:35—-don’t be scared, man! YOU GOT IT. JUST GET MORE CONFIDENCE. I felt ya there for  a sec.  

Boys in my holler would love this. My Aunt Carol would listen to this on her porch. I need to text  her. Thanks for the reminder. :)  

OOOO BOOM ending.  

Do you have any family in SWVA??? I grew up with a LOT of LONGs. Like, my old high school  is literally on “Charles C Long Dr.” Any relation??? One of my teachers was a Long… one of  our coaches was a Long… had to ask. Hell, I’ve been fooled before… you even in the US? lol I  feel so stupid asking.  

Don’t get bummed about my ranking. I still love your voice.  

You impress me. Keep going. Work on not [innocently?] borrowing too much from hit singles. My  ears just make too many connections. ;)  

DAVID TARO - Annie I Think I Love You  

SQUIRRELLY GUITARS.  

This is cute already.  

Interesting…  

Spandau Ballet - “True”… ya did a rock-y version lol (Love this song. A cover was on one of my  fave soundtracks.)  

DT : 0:08 :: SB : 0:11 [via HD Remasters on YouTube]  

DT : 0:23 :: SB : 0:55  

re: my R1 notes regarding Rufus…  

Some nice Fx. Decent production. 2:17 almost sounded sarcastic and I love it.  You can scream well. ;) 

My biggest note—my ears want you to be more… I don’t know how to phrase this without  sounding like a jackass (forgive, please)… ‘original’ with your sound. Or be hella foxy and sneak  somethin' by me. Given my notes last round, *ahem* Rufus, I’m guessing we may just have  similar “happy tastes” lol. I don’t wanna have to dub you The Sly [Weaving] Interpolator. This is  adorable, otherwise. If you were honestly *not* even goin’ for anything related to Spandau  Ballet (or Rufus, re: R1) you have a gift of making me pattern-match within the first 10 seconds  of your songs. Blame my neuro-zesty wiring.  

I love your energy and your music sounds like an orb of sunshine… just give me something in the  instrumentation that sounds a tad more… TOTALLY yours, not… borrowed? I don’t mean for  that to sound harsh, sorry. I did feel this one wasn’t AS obvious, but still obvious (at least from a  persnickety judge’s perspective) where your inspiration(s) may’ve come from.  

The repetition at the end does kinda grate me a bit.  

Hella great dynamics. You seem so fun. :)  

THE DREAMS CORPORATION - Mother, Please... (short ver)  

Short ver—your title’s already giving me the giggles.  

Ah sh*t, son. You took my note literally about the monks hahahahahahahaahahhahaha  Homey sounds too old to be beggin’ mama for things.  

Maybe lower the FX on that… make it sound more… demonic? I’m trying to think what would  work for me…. The “wailing” side of it makes it sound… off. I do like the monk vibe, sorta.  Hell, I loved Enigma.  

1:08—make it a real piano  

1:23—this sounds real cool… maybe lower the vox here… let that cool FX be the boat…. That  vocal is like a small wave floating me along… don’t make it the boat otherwise you sound all  Muppets. I do like The Muppets, though.  

What about a Christmas tree? lol  

I do have a pet peeve about not being able to understand lyrics phonetically, but I feel the vibe  here and I’ll allow it.  

I need something different around the 2:45 mark… I know you can tonal whiplash me, bro.  I’m still giggling that this is the “short ver” 

3:07—oh, monks are back. Take me to heaven nirvana.  

3:18—or hell? Where we goin’…  

3:25—I don’t usually like circus-sounding FX, but this is cool here. Really cool… melodica??  Nice bringing in the circus, just don’t turn it into one… yet.  

I need like a sexy dance beat under this. It would slap. I want you to do some Daft Punk Alive  2007 type stuff.  

I’m getting tired of that vocal. It’s starting to remind me of those balloons that static-stick to your  head. LOL. Can I pop it? :-P  

Try spoken word without the monk army. Add a cool 4:47 underwater FX like this to a spoken  word vocal if you have any qualms with your own spoken voice (I sure do, it’s all good)… I think  it’d sound really neat. Or do some Lisa Gerrard type stuff… just make sure to get your pitches  right. Ah, hell…. dude… throat-singing over your beats would be neat. I kinda liked your Round  Ones a li’l better. I still have your Shadow to listen to… oh dear, the long version… stay tuned…  

Do you experience synesthesia? Your music makes me think so.  

I have a dear buddy who does. Each note he plays, he sees a color. I love the brain.  Your songs are always an experience. I don’t get out much, so I appreciate the tour(s).  

THE MOON BUREAU - 501  

Comes in a tad weak, I need more fullness in the low-end. This sounds like your last song, I  think?  

Nice melisma. Nice pitches. Sounds like The Cure.  

501 Levis? lololol Showin’ the pants!!!!  

Wait… if this is about Levis, this is weird. I love weird.  

OMG IS THIS ABOUT LEVIS?  

AHHHHHHH OMGGGG IT IS!!!!!  

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha  

This song made me laugh and I don’t know if it was supposed to LOL.  

Either way, it gets points for that. 

My hubby wears 501s hahahahahahaahahaha  

These lyrics made me GIGGLE.  

Back to say those lyrics were SO FUN. Makes me wanna put on my husband’s jeans. LOL.  

Okay, I wasn’t much for the overall sound of this, but you totally crept up in rankings because of  your lyrics. I do listen to… and read them. ;)  

These are so cute-funny. I love to laugh. Life is hard. Thank you.  

CARRIE SPILLANE - Time Is All We Need  

AHHHH, lovely voice. You talk about a lot of places. Your album cover should be a map. ;)  Pretty layer. This sounds a lot like your last one. I can pick you out in a lineup.  Striiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnngssssssss…. Did you remember I’m a sucker for them?  1:48—heard that ;) Cute.  

My biggest note—just sounded a li’l too much like the last one. Still beautiful. Still ranked high.  Still love that piano. Nice dynamics. Nice control. Nice pacing, but perhaps could vary the actual  sound… I want my heart to pound with that piano just a taaaaaaaad more. Or gimme something  more… oh… Peggy Lee? Let’s change the mood a bit.  

Yeah—I agree. Time is everything, sometimes. It’s in so many of life’s equations (literally), isn’t  it? Second time around enjoying your lyrics. :) You write and sound so well.  

BROTHER BAKER - You  

Note: I usually don’t like this genre, but I think you do it well.  

Pet peeve “cigarette(s)” in a song… just a thing lol It can make a love song sound gross to me  fast. I wish this didn’t bother me. It’s a stupid thing to get squirrelly about.  

Better layering than last round to my ears. Steady guitars.  

Maybe a layer around :35ish would’ve filled that out more.  

:51—nice efforts fulfilling challenge… I love when folks challenge themselves. Good job. 

1:06—sounds like a few milli-seconds off?  

1:35-2:03—weakest part of the song ; guitar kinda hurts after a bit, tad loud in the mix  

Very up your genre next time if you can… I want something that’s not on the American Pie  soundtrack. I wanna make sure you don’t interpolate. :) You fit this genre well, though. ;)  

I can hear your melisma more than others. Great projection. :)  

Ending was nice. Good outro.  

Your lyrics had a broken narrative. What does your arm covered in tattoos have to do with this?  What’s this next phase? 30 days? Are you a new dad? Getting married? Again… the tattoos? I’m  clearly missing something here. haha It’s okay, sometimes I’m slow depending how hungry I am  (I’m pretty hungry right now.).  

VOM VORTON - Something in the Fog  

I like this intro. Sounds familiar. Almost like Smashing Pumpkins meets… something… lol  “Falls Apart” Sugar Ray?  

I like this one better than last round.  

:40—this would sound better if you REALLY GIVE IT TO ME. Use your abs, don’t hold back. I  feel a li’l hold there. Nice fulfillment of challenge :)  

1:18—cute.  

1:35—you sound like you got bored lol I guess foggy things can be boring.  

2:10ish—around this area I wish there was more balance in the mix… the vox seem loud to me…  could just be my ‘buds.  

Melisma is a tad weak, but you did it and I’m very proud of you. :)  

Again, I liked this one better than your last round. :)  

I like the way you say “party.”  

This song makes me want to drink a London Fog. lol  

(The best one I’ve ever had was in Juneau, AK of all places.)  

Your name sounds like it could attack Van Helsing.

WEST OF VINE - Another Kind of Leaving  

Oooooo nice vocal intro… I like this so far…. I don’t hate you… lol  

:33—nice  

:44 go back to that low growl you started with. I  

1:02 gimme some gritttttttttttttttt…. Throw rocks at me with that melissmsmammamamamammaa  

1:16 MORE MORE MORE. Need something more in the bass here… or vox, or both. I wanted to  be blown away there… and I kinda got hit with humidity instead lol  

This reminds me of an old Petty song or something. I’m at Myrtle Beach on my senior beach trip  hahaha  

Holding out the goodbye at the end maybe’ve worked better for me.  

Nice improvement from last round, for me.  

This sounds like “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” I like the occasional Stones thrown at  me… 

JEALOUS BROTHER - Soundcheckin’  

LOL cap’n Kirk mentioned in the same line as a fiddle. Nice. You don’t hear that much.  So far my fave part of this is that fiddle. Call me AppaLATCH-UN. Yessir.  

Okay, I’m not for solos, but felt this needed a spoons solo hahahah I don’t know why. It’s the  fiddle. Blame the fiddle.  

I can’t hear anything but that cute fiddle. Melisma’s there, I think. I want this fiddle.  

What’s that hum? FUCKING HUM? It’s the FIDDLE!!! Oh god that guitar makes no sense, but  it does. Oh, you folks still try’na prove you can solo. Love your hearts. Okay, that was short and  sweet, good job. 

AAWWWW DAT FIDDLE. BE STILL, MY HOLLER HEART.  

2:38—oooooooooo are we about to brawl. This is cool. LORD. Lol.  

I actually like this part. The way you say soundcheckin’… I wanna hate it, but it’s like you’re  being a smartass about it… I kinda… like it LOL.  

OH SH*T HERE HE GO BRINGIN’ BACK DAT FIDDLE FOR ME  

You suckin’ up to my bumpkin brain? You just fiddlin’ around, man.  

Okay this was catchy, even if a li’l long.  

It’s hard for me to critique because you got me swoooooon over that fiddle. Damn you.  After another listen—your voice is so memorable. This is good for you.  

Your name makes me question if you’re “jealous” of Brother Baker.  

OMINOUS RIDE - No Grudge  

No grudge… hope it’s about holdin’ a grudge.  

Heard something akin to that intro before somewheres… I’ll think of it… at some point… ‘cause  it’s gonna bug me like crazy lol  

:43—yay, variability… was getting bored with the rhythm.  

:55—nice layering there  

1:25—sounds cool… familiar…  

Okay that repeated guitariness sounds REALLY familiar… hmmm… Heart? Heck, I can’t  pinpoint it and it’s driving me bonkers. Anyway…  

I still like it… but now I gotta figure out what pattern my brain is try’na connect here.  

1:56—need more fuller crescendo, less crash cymbal….  

Needed better building around this part…  

More dynamic 2:35ish… GIVE ME THE PUNCH.  

Less crash cymbal… I wanna be blown away at 3:00 but I’m staring at my toenail.  

WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS GUITAR’N RHYTHM BEFORE??? Crikey.  Fuel? “Shimmer”? Maybe this needs more yarling. haha 

Felt this could’ve been shorter. Like that drone at the ending.  

STAR BEAR - My Love Is Forever  

Timing just sliiiiiiightly off. Use more abs, punch me with your loveeeeeeeee. I wanna feel it  foreverrrrrrr.  

1:00 cute twinkliessssss, nice FX…  

This is such an improvement from last round. Am I in space? I like this part. This goes with your  vox a li’l more than what is at the beginning. Play into this more. It’s kind of playful. I like it.  I feel like I’m taking a cool multiple-choice test hahaha That makes no sense. Forgive me.  

Seriously. I like that spacey FX with your voice. It’s like you’re actively talking about giving  someone “space,” I think. Again, playful. Playful FX match this vocal style. It’s adorable.  

I’d say working on the shakiness in your vox would help. Part of me thinks this is mostly  confidence. This song peaked during the moments of the space FX stuff. So cute. Loved that.  Explore where your natural tessitura actually rests. Top and bottom limit… work within that  limit. I can’t really tell if you sing like this naturally, or if it’s an inspired/desired reach.  

3:30—nice musical transitional, keeps my interest  

You’re not the only one I’ve said this to:  

A li’l long. Same effects could’ve been attained if condensed by another minute, maybe even 2.  Much better than last round, I think. :)  

Despite ranking you low, I did want to come back and say that this is still a remarkable  improvement from last round! I really think “playful” work for you. That space-y part was really  cute, Star Bear. :) Think: “I need music that parallel plays with my name” and I think you’ll find  your way, naturally. I keep wanting to call you Care Bear. lol  

PIGFARMER JR - I Don’t Know Why  

:39—nice addition of guitar… nice build.  

Man, I really want you to explore the lower end of your tessitura, or layers of deeper vox  tracks… 

Like last round, I think my biggest note for you is that lack of fullness… I need something more in  the bass… a simple bassline could really help. I enjoy this piano. Always game for piano.  

1:46—good building here, just make it pay off. 1:57—needs to be fullllllll as Sunflower Bastard’s  “Stadium” lol HIT ME WIT’ IT. I WANNA FEEL BROKEN WHEN SHE’S NOT THERE, TOO!!!  Break my heart, man.  

Y’all really try’na get me into solos. This was… cute. It may’ve been earned ‘cause you try’na  impress her with your… solo love.  

You have a nice dynamic voice that doesn’t do much dynamically-to-your-own-baseline here (and  yes, bassline ’n baseline, totally aware there lol)…… I want more grit… or explore a softer verse  so you can really shine in your chorus. You have voice that could really echo live. I think I’d  probably prefer to hear you live. Sometimes production kills good grit, but we can’t really help  our digital situation here, can we?  

I liked this one on par with last round..  

Lyrical note: Pride sure can ruin a beautiful relationship, that’s for sure. I grew up around folks  never having the balls to say sorry, but expecting immediate forgiveness from their kin/partners.  Drove me bonkers. This song triggers me in a way… may be because I’m in a highly communicative and happy marriage, I dunno… I’m also a blue-collar bumpkin who gets tired of  the narcissistic-akin behavior that often accompanies vanity/pride. Emotional nakedness is hella  masculine and sexy, sometimes. I hate all the stigma that surrounds masculinity (and no, I’m not  really a feminist, just read a lot). Okay, why am I going on about this. Sorry, again I ramble.  

FLINTSTEEL - The Iron Man  

Oh, I remember you guys—let’s see what fantasy novel you finished this week HAHA I kid. Here  we go… opening with a clip? Iron Man lol  

HAHAHAHA sorry this sound always makes me giggle and air guitar like crazy.  This is SOLID for the genre. Where’s my bear????? :45—li’l weak in the lair layer?  

:54 sounded a li’l too similar to your last song…  

1:03 nice holllllllllld. Nice.  

1:10—MORE GROWLLLLLLL, MR. BEAR!!!! KICK ME OUTTA YOUR CAVE!!!!!!  SHOW ME THE IRON!!!!!! IRON WHIP MEEEEEEEEE GRRRRRRR 

1:38—here come the squirrels. Lololol okay, this solo is genre-appropriate, I will allow it. Totally  earned, I think.  

Yet another demo for Sonic the Hedgehog. LOL. I just lost all my rings.  

2:22—REALLY HIT THAT  

2:30—more gravelllllllll, 2:37——YEAHHHHHHHHHHH  

Impressed with your held vox. Gotta go back and check on this melisma LOL. I don’t mind.  

“… I have to write a song about whatever book i am reading, its a disease.” LOL. LOVED THIS.  It’s the best kind of disease. ;)  

Keep reading.  

MISCELLANEOUS OWL - Rubbing the Velvet  

Rubbing the velvet, eh?  

Nice melisma, it gets better as it goes.  

That clicking gets a li’l much for me at around the :20 mark. It takes away from that cool harpy  effect. Maybe lower in the mix. Up your vox slightly.  

Yeah, that clicking is driving me bonkers, but you sound so soooo gorgeous.  

Can I have some of your grunge vibe back? I miss that. Can you tease me with a li’l crunchy  guitar. :-P You can stay soprano and floaty, that’s fine too.  

This clicking is not like rubbing velvet. It’s like cheeks on concrete.  

I would like this infinitely more if that clicking was turned down.  

I love this Florence + the Machine harp sound lol…  

This clicking… my brain…  

… I’m so sensory-sensitive, sorry. Click less. ;)  

I love this, minus that clicking. AHHH, THE CLICKING.  

If you wanna click, do it in the clever Timbaland-Aaliyah kinda way as in  “Are You That Somebody” ;) 

Your voice is velvety. I love it.  

Also, totally with ya on your lyric intro. Agreed. I liked your lyrics, too. (I actually used  “threadbare” in a poem not too long ago.)  

Back to say: this sounds like the stuff Ian (also a judge) would play when we first started dating  back in uni. If he ranks this low, I’ll smack him real good for ya. ;) He may like it, though. No  promises. :-P  

I wish I could sing like you, but I sound like a drunk Wynonna Judd.  

IRONBARK - Don’t Get Behind Me  

After hearing miscellaneous owl’s harp-y noises … I want more harps from you hahaha  

:38—love this; you know how to sound quirky and make it FIT. LOVE IT. I feel like I’m watching  sound…. does this make sense?  

I want a li’l more emotion in the 1:00 area.. some lyrics I felt could’ve matched a feeling/ emotion a taaaaaad more  

1:34—adorable. I like this. I can hear this one some show from the Pink Panther era. Lol (I  looooooved Pink Panther)  

2:09—interesting transitions. You do this well, I’ve noticed. You keep me guessing.  Nice melisma! Noted.  

Hahaha your voice sayin’ “gangstas” is so cute to me.  

2:47—HAHA I love this! This is what I wish The Residents sounded like.  

Like I want to watch your music. This is such weird phrasing, I know. It’s very “wonderland."  3:25—nice.  

I like this one. A lot.  

I wanna give you a wand to wave around and have books do some weird stacking and dances. lol  

My biggest critique is vocal-forensics notes. Some of your inflections could be elaborated-in feeling a tad farther. Like if I’m ‘surprised’ in a lyric… I want to feel that surprise in your spoken 

word… sometimes the execution is a tad too flat, even for your baseline (yes baseline with an ‘e,’  not ’s’ lol)  

These lyrics made me giggle. You don’t SOUND threatening at ALL, but these lyrics… LOL.  I love your whimsy… you sound so… magical.  

When I listen—I want all my inanimate objects to start twirling and dancing in some single-file  line in a roundabout like it’s some Jewish wedding (their weddings are bangers).  

You should still do Audiobooks.  

I gotta note… I HATE when someone is standing behind me when I’m working. I wanna glock  ‘em. OMG I love these effects. “Go for the eyeball.” Is that what you said hahaha that wasn’t in  your posted lyrics LOL hahahahaha pays to listen. Sometimes I miss these honestly, but this was  a nice find on a extra listen. Maybe you should take some lyric from Moon Bureau and kick ‘em  in the 501s. :-P  

I came back to say that I was listening to 2Pac’s “Ambitionz As a Ridah” today and I had a  moment of thinking it’d be genius if you combined this sound with your magic for a moment. It  would be somethin’ wiiiiiild and I’m here for it. There’s you a ‘bucket list’ kinda challenge lol.  I’m gonna blame the way you said “gangstas.” I guess I love 2Pac, too. I think his 30yr death-a versary wasn’t too long ago.  

YOU EARNED MY BRONZE!!!  

This is so frickin’ adorable. This is quirky in the most whimsical way.  

The lyrics kinda make me chuckle when I hear/read them.  

I can’t wait for your Round Three. Your inflection is great. Do you act? DO AUDIOBOOKS.  Love your name, too. I think Flintsteel may’ve wrote your theme song, sorta.  

THE PROFANE BELLS - She  

This sounds a lot like your last one.  

:35—use your abs. You can do it!  

1:02—a tad weak, but hey—you hit the challenge!  

1:33—nice li’l break there  

I need some variation in this rhythm at this point, we’ll see how the bridge goes.  Your vox didn’t seem as confident this round. Maybe it was the melisma. Lol 

2:18—needs more punch…  

2:55—yay, let’s change it up like this sooner in the song :)  

I think the melisma is the weakest part of this, but I appreciate you giving it to us for the sake for  the challenge. I’ll consider this in my rankings. :)  

Can we veer from the Petty vibe a bit? This sounds a lot like last time, and I’m not noticing much  of an improvement. The Xanax hit me a li’l too hard this time lol ;)  

On second listen, something about that opening reminded me of the intro to Bush’s  “Comedown.” That’s one of my fave songs, btw.  

Another song involving an issue with pride. Yep, relationship killer.  

  

STEFAN SZABO - When It Comes  

Did you bring the groo-V applesauce this time? Let’s see what you’ve blended.  I have only one juice box and I gotta pack it for my kid’s lunch tomorrow.  

Oh, whistling? Interesting…  

We’re at :35 before your vox comes in… that’s too long for this vibe, for me.  

Nice vox. Lovely.  

Love that guitar. 1:04 & 1:08—beautiful  

1:38—cute. Like this.  

Nice production. Again, if the right ears hear this—I think you may go places.  I still think you got some Legend in you—again, do you play piano???  

Piano + your voice = CHILLZ (probably)  

Your voice could go high like Usher, but you don’t carry it there, and I appreciate it… that’s what  I don’t like about Usher. If he’d say level and kinda low where you are, I think I’d like him more.  If you’re gonna go high, go high like Legend. Just my two-cents going forward. You need to learn  piano. Your vox over it…. Yah, I’m repeating myself.  

This song admittedly sounds… familiar. It’s the vocal melody. I’ve heard this vox cadence before.  3:11—nice quiet moment here.  

This song is almost 5 minutes. Does it earn it?  

I think you could’ve cut 2 minutes and still been fine. Yes, two… you’re that smooV. 

Maybe a taaaaad bit more dynamics in the vocals… you’re not mumbling, but the dial is leaning  a taaaaaad that way.  

Upper-tier for me.  

This contestant has raw talent and production quality. I would like to hear them with a more raw  sound (like piano, or just unplugged… like, acoustic) to see how their vocal dynamic shines.  Don’t play it safe behind production quality. I’m curious how you sound “live.” Still smooV.  

PAUL DERMODY - So Insane  

Kinda got a Songs Our Daddy Taught Us (Everly bros) vibe with this intro. I am SUCH a sucker  for Everly bros… my middle child’s first name is Everly (he goes by Eustace, though.. much more  fitting.) Sounds like the beginning of “Kentucky” which is one of my ultimate favorite songs of  all friggin’ time. It’s simple and guts me.  

You still givin’ me Neil vibes and I still can’t remember which Neil hahahaha Diamond? Hell,  I’m probably wrong. You sound like “one of the Neils” and Willie.  

Dude—you need a full band. That’s really all you need. I love your sound, and all my Boomer in laws would love you.  

1:14—I’m kinda wanting the music to vary some.  

1:25—gimme a tad more GRIT….  

1:47—-GOOOOOOOOD work!  

1:58—tad vocal stumble. Like a millisecond.  

Yeah, man—you just need a band. You got buddies? That’s it. Start gigging. I think you’re ready.  You have one of the better “would sound great live” voices of the bunch.  

Wow, I feel like I’ve been telling every single contestant this:  

Song runs a taaaad too longggggg. I think you could cut some darlings, condense your message  and it’d be even stronger.  

Some of the best use of melisma in the round. ;)  

3:53—comes in a tad wonky  

My biggest note is just variation of the rhythm. I still want you to fingerpick vs. strum. 

Get a full band, man. You ready.  

SOBER - I’ll Try Again  

Cute intro.  

Bring out the vox a tad more.  

That horsey effect is a little distracting, even for a born-Kentuckian.  

:32—cute. awwww hell I hear my holler whisperin’ at me  

:49—-hell yessssssss BRING THIS OUT MORE… I wanna tap. Lol  

God I love the holler sound (I do know this genre is very polarizing. Luckily, I’m judging suckaz  lol)  

1:13 aw shit there’s my fiddle. You get me. Whine fiddle, whine!!!  

AND A MANDOLIN? GANG’S ALL HERE? Where’s my double bass?  

Love that pickinnnnnnnnnnnn… yeaaaahhhhhhh.  

(You must know I’m missin’ Mrs. Dolly. Send me to Da-da-da-Dollywood!)  

1:32—ah man, this needs fullness. I like this, just want to be enveloped in this. I wish had more  mixing advice to give you but I want to feel some like… double bass or something against my  hips… ya know what I mean? I want my ears to fuzz in this folk.  

Thanks for toning down the pedal/lap steel (sorry, I get those confused all the time) this round. :)  I do like it, but thanks for not showing off. haha  

NICE melisma. Controlled. Nice vox all-around.  

I will say… gimme more grrrrrrit. Throw me more rocks in that wail of yours. Maybe you need to  get mad or something. haha I bet you have a good-sounding lower register, too. Hell, I think I  just want someone to Barry White at me for a li’l bit.  

I’m sorry if this genre isn’t appreciated. I LOVE IT. It’s just bias, and I shouldn’t be biased, but I  am here. You got support. Holler proud. You and Jennifer Lynne got my holler heart by a rope.  I hope you (both) make it to the next round. If not, screw ‘em! hahaha  

AND THANK YOU FOR A GOOD SONG LENGTH!!!!  

This is like the near-perfect length… you could even have stretched it to a full 3 minutes and  been okay. I want to want MORE from a song when it ends, not be like “oh, finally.” 

Do you have a mandocello? Explore that beast. It costs a mortgage payment, but man… that  toooooone. Speaking of, “Ian—call John about our mandocello!!!!”  

(I know he’ll read my reviews lol)  

Came back to say—yeah, just bring out a li’l more dynamic in your voice. There are places I  wanna hear the rock collection in your larynx, if that makes sense? My best example of this is  always June Carter… or Wynonna. Oh god, can you give me more vibrato like Darius? Ah hell,  be careful… I might faint. (I get to see him in Charleston next month!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first  momcation ever!!!!!! Every exclamation point earned.)  

And I read your lyrical bio—your fiddlin’ is soundin’ fine. My oldest used to play fiddle; I’ve  heard worse lol. You’ve only been playing like… a month… two? Y’ain’t gonna beat the Devil  overnight, sir. Patience, grasshopper. Again, you sound fine. Just make sure you release the  tension in your bow when you’re doing playing, i.e., loosen the screw. :-P I’ve ‘screwed’ up so  much horsehair forgetting to do that. Keep fiddlin’ around. ;)  

(Oh, and ya don’t care, but I have Woodstock [Peanuts] playin’ fiddle inked on my left  shoulder… I got it after my pops passed away. He was the one that got me into old-time.)  

Will lobsters want to eat you, though? Now I wanna read about lobsters. Think I will.  Wait, you’re in Maine, aren’t you? Lobster man.  

This sounds like something I’d’ve listened to on 107.3 WXLZ radio.  

This was my alarm clock from Age 5-17. I was their ‘Player of the Week’ once upon a time. :-P  

Ranked ya #5. You almost edged out Pannacotta… my 3-4-5 ranks were so hard to pick.  If I went on BIAS alone, you’d be Top 3. I’ve told Ian, you’re repeatedly one of my faves in these  competitions. There—now your ego’s had breakfast. Nom nom nom.  

P.S.—re: your comment to the judges a few competitions back regardin’… suckin’ somethin’  somethin' (gotta keep it a li’l PG-13 here)… “learn to like country!” or somethin’ somethin’, ya  remember? Micah had to bring the gavel out on ya, I recall. hahaha I still think of that and  laugh-out-loud sometimes. Like, right now. I wish more folks understood this genre. As I told  another contestant last round, “it takes all kinds to make a world.” I like that you’re givin’ your  world more fiddle. I like to shuffle.  

BETTY AND THE RUBBLE - Villain [SHADOW]  

Much clearer than last round in the first 5 seconds. Nice piano.  

This is SO MUCH BETTER than last round!! Nice!!!! I’m proud of you! 

That layered vocal is nice.  

:44—lovely  

1:00—the backing layer sounds a smidge, but still sounds decent  

That twinkle of the piano is cute.  

1:37—that’s good. I like spiders. I like orbweavers… (speaking of weaving)  

Wow. This is SUCH an improvement from last round. Wow. Where was this in Round One?  That piano, still so cute.  

Oh a solo—oh boy—2:42… this may actually… work for me… wow. Solo falls into the verse  well, but needs to soften when your voice comes in because it overpowers ya for a second.  

I can hear your vox so much better this time and they’re great! You have a Sheryl Crow vibe here  that doesn’t annoy me. I’m not really a Crow fan, so this is a high-compliment. Good job. Lovely.  “Most Improved” medal from me, fo’ sho!  

CHRISTINE FANNING - Letting Go [SHADOW]  

You sound heavy in my left and the guitar in the right. I wish they were even.  Nice vocal, loss of rhythm a bit right before the minute mark.  

I wish you could have a groovy bassline. It’d go with your voice so well.  

Maybe explore just acoustic next time. This sounds like the same guitar pedal(?) from last round.  

2:09—too tinny. Yeah girl, you need a bassline. It’d bring your vox out so well. You have grrrreat  projection.  

2:39ish—cute hit of that note.  

I’m searching for the melisma, but I’m just hearing one note… wait, there it is! I’ll give this  another listen so I can really hear it. :)  

3:18—not matched well, but sounds lovely.  

I wish you had bandmates. You have a lovely voice. All that’s lacking is a little more  instrumentation. 

MICAH SOMMERSMITH - I’m in Love [SHADOW]  

Another catchy one from Micah.  

I love your lower register.  

Oh, boy someone’s in your bed lol  

I don’t tend to like this sort of instrumentation, but you’re making me love it… which is  appropriate given the song title.  

1:10—nice variation… block is a taaaaaad loud to me.  

1:27—nice  

1:45—nice layer; nice melisma ;)  

Maybe a tad more movement in the vox, dynamic-wise… other than at the chorus.  Maybe cut by 30s-1min, though length may be deserved for a given mood, or party.  

P.S.—Hope my ramblin’ reviews make you feel better about your emails. ;) I actually really enjoy  your emails. I’m like Johnny 5 (Short Circuit): “INPUT! NEED INPUT!” You’re in good  company.  

▷ - Way Too Much [SHADOW]  

Oh, for the love of god—you again. LOL. You don’t stop the hustle and I totally respect that.  

:13—fun!  

:20—I like this….  

:25—that’s cool  

Yeah dude, check out Reznor… he’ll change your life, maybe  

:48—bleep-blooooooops  

:55—OH, FUNKY!!!!!  

FOLKS—THIS IS HOW TO BE ORIGINAL!!!  

Y’all think this kid be cray-cray, but y’all need to take notes.  

I know what you’re throwin’ down, and I ain’t even a theory buff yet. :)  

1:34—YESSSSS this sounds hella cool 

If I could be your ‘music mama’ for a second:  

‘Music son’— could you please mix Reznor and Timbaland? Please and thank you.  I want you to make me a dance beat, son.  

2:20—this almost lost me, but you’re so good at changing right when I’m about to lost interest  2:42—hahaha love this; it’s so strange  

3:06—oh, now this funky fun…  

3:18—sounds a tad whiney… no likey lol  

3:33—oh man… okay, lemme figure out what in the hell you’re doing here  

So many people will not understand you, and for this: I’m sorry.  

I feel ya, man. Kindred spirits.  

SO THEN I SAYS TO MABEL, I SAYS - Taco Bell Parking Lot [SHADOW]  

I giggle at your band name EVERY TIME. You knew what you were doin’ when you named  yourself. I always wanna say Hazel, though, bc that was my great-aunt’s name.  

More dynamics in the vox. Go lower register. I want ya to lol  

I don’t feel the pounding of your heart, but that repeated rhythm sounds like a beat that needs to  change soon. :)  

I don’t think that’s why your chest is comin’ apart. I think it’s heartburn. LOL.  

I hear that melisma, man hahahaha this is great. TAAaaaaaacoooooooo bell paaaarking  loooooooooooOOOooO000000000oooooooooaaaoaahahahhhhT  

OMG I WAS WITH YOU THE WHOLE TIME.  

I felt like I was drunk “howlin’ at the moon” with chewmeupspitmeout.  

CINNAMON. Lol  

I actually LOL’d to this. No sh*t. This is great in a hilarity kinda way. I can’t take it seriously,  though. Am I supposed to?? Either way, I’m 100% entertained. I won’t even talk about how off key you are because as I told miscellaneous owl… I sound like a drunk Wynonna.  

Now I want a moody quesadilla. Or a chalupa.  

Or some cinna-twists. Let’s get twisty, Mabel.  

This is hysterical. This is gonna get stuck in my damn head. 

My husband loves Taco Bell and I can’t wait for him to hear this.  

You need to play this in a Taco Bell parking lot.  

It’s like if The Crystals started takin’ double-dosed testosterone and really wanted some of the  Bell. SO THEN I SEZ TO MABELZ, I SEZ: TACO BELLZ  

LIVE MÁS!!!!  

I want to cover this SO BAD. 

THE DREAMS CORPORATION - Mother, Please… [SHADOW]  

The monks came in and I knew it was you. ;)  

Dude—again, I think you should do throat-singing here… not the moody monks.  

OMFG I just looked at the length of this song. TEN MINUTES?? Oh boy… I’m gonna listen,  man. I promise. This better take me to Jupiter and back.  

1:09—carousel? Mimes? Where are we? France? The fair? I kinda like it.  DUDE I wanna study your brain. Lol  

2:04—Okay are we done with this prayer yet? What spirit we callin’ now?  Oh, his mama.  

I’m starting to worry how your mama treats you. LOL Do you need help? Throat-sing for help.  Oh, my not even 3 minutes in yet… and I feel like I’m locked in mass.  

Nice quirky melisma.  

3:25—did you give Kanye West LSD here? Is this an exorcism?  

Your vox FX are so interesting. I have gotten tired of that warpy monk vocal, like in “short ver.”  

4:34—kinda bored… wake me up, man. I know I’m walking through these color rooms or  something… color hospital? Something Crayola, for sure.  

Oh, boy 5 more minutes… what else ya got for me?… do you just want me to ramble at you, is  that it? Hahaha 

Dude this part is going on wayyy too long… I do hear some interesting stuff going on in that  background, but the dang monks cloud it lol Ian will figure this out, maybe. lol  

6:46—very The Residents  

Just something I wanna throw out there: respect our time as judges. :-P I have kids, man. I’m  doing this for free. LOL. Ten minutes was way too long for this. :) (I still listened to the WHOLE  THING. Twice. Respect.)  

7:27—back on the carousel  

Please, please, please end this. Is this an abuse or a longing story? MOTHER, PLEASE.  I love the FX here, the vox are drivin’ me bonkers at this point.  

Yep, you could’ve cut this song by 7 minutes, my dearest. LOL. Hey, I listened to the whole damn  thing… just swimming in your brain…  

… yeah, I’m convinced you just wanna see me ramble throughout the 10-minute duration of your  song. I’ll give you 10-pages Music Son… OMG… is this the end. WOW. I made it. Wow. You  have stamina, my friend. Here I am sleepy at 7PM. The sleepy isn’t really your fault. Again, I  have kids.  

I still think you could do amaaaaaazing score work. Look into “Soul” soundtrack… that Pixar  movie. Reznor and Ross did work on that. It’s so cool. Carry on, kindred spirit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment