Time left




Saturday, May 1, 2021

ST17.4 Reviews and Rankings - Wil Whalen

Sorry, I’m on a bunch of painkillers from dental surgery so I will be briefer than usual this week:

Another overall extremely strong round.  Very tough to put these in any sort of objective order but I’ll try!  


See-Man-Ski

Very nice composition.  Great buildup, though I think during the second half that repeated airy synth line holds back some of the effect by remaining so consistent.  There’s something very 90s alt rock about this.  At times the vocal delivery and rhythms/song structure remind me of Crash Test Dummies.


Cavedwellers

A nice upbeat (musically, at least) tune in an otherwise more somber and low key round. Unfortunate miscount aside, I do feel like this song does the best of the main entries at mixing up the source words to create new sentences rather than building repeated lyrical frameworks and swapping a few words in and out.  Both valid choices but this one ends up feeling less repetitive because of it.  Interesting weird synth stuff going on near the end, sounds like something bitcrushed?


Also in Blue

Just love it.  Hard to find anything to pick on - even if it's a little repetitive lyrically, it’s constantly evolving and playing out differently.  Was easily my first place from the first listen, instantly memorable and earwormy.


Sober

Another fine song and set of performances, instrumentally and vocally.  Your songs are always so consistently polished!  This one I think suffers most from repetitiveness - the subsequent verses are so similar they don't really add anything narratively. 


Also: The main banjo riff in this makes me think of Bon Jovi’s Blaze of Glory every time I hear it.  (Come to think of it there’s also a little bit in Also in Blue’s song that sounded similar.)   


Rankings:

Also in Blue - 1

See-Man-Ski - 2

Sober - 3

Cavedwellers - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment