Time left




Saturday, April 28, 2018

ST14R2 Reviews: Allan Morgan

This was a tough one to judge.  For me, the best entries had to walk the line between invoking the “original” (which I refer to throughout as the “sequel”) without slavishly copying it.  Entries had to work well in tandem with the sequel while still being able to stand up as it’s own song.  And that’s tough, since a lot of the songs that were chosen to “prequel” against are bona-fide classics that are hard to stand alongside.  But props to all contestants for getting in there and doing it.  A lot of creativity in this round.

Bubba and the No Longer Amiable Kraken - I Want You for the First Time 
Ranking: 1 Points: 9.0
Awesome concept and execution.  I don’t expect these prequel songs to slavishly emulate the sound of the sequel, but in this case it’s perfect.  Spot on.

Jordan Carroll - When Will I Give You Up
Ranking: 2 Points: 8.0
NAILED the sound.  I’d like a little more distinction in the chorus melody, but overall REALLY well done.  I’m humming this already.

Temnere - Eschelon 
Ranking: 3 Points: 8.0
Well-written and executed.  Slightly disorienting in that the voice and style is so different from the sequel.  But the dynamic build at the end is very well done, and the lyrics put it a notch above similar “stalker-ish” songs I’ve heard.

Micah Sommersmith - You Know About Me
Ranking: 4 Points: 7.5
I guiltily confess to being not-at-all familiar with Queen Bee’s oeuvre, so I had to YouTube the sequel.  This is a cute and clever contrast, I can say with certainty Beyonce would probably never go with an accordian-and-brass arrangement you go with here.  Clever lyrics.

Riker's Island - We Decide
Ranking: 5 Points: 7.5
Again, the violin is the spice that kicks this one up.  I’d like to hear a fuller arrangement, since I like the tune quite a bit.  Fits with the sequel very well, IMHO.  A bit melancholy, it seems, I’m quite intrigued.  Great rhyme on “denoument”.

Governing Dynamics - Disassembly 
Ranking: 6 Points: 7.5
Hey, good stuff.  Has a bit of that woozy 90’s-alternative feel, well done.  I like the chorus especially.  

Megalodon - Try It Once Jack
Ranking: 7 Points: 7.5
By the title, I thought it might be a prequel to “Hit the Road, Jack”, but I like the Steely Dan choice.  I do hear some Dan-isms in the production, but it’s not overwhelming, nicely done.  Tasty guitar work.  A bit wayward melodically, but still pleasant.  I think you did a good job lyrically, but it’s hard to tell since the sequel has that typical opaque Dan lyricism that doesn’t always lend itself to straightforward narrative.  This one’s a grower.

Boy on the Wall - Today 
Ranking: 8 Points: 7.5
You’re playing with fire when you set yourself up to be compared to The Beatles, especially going up against what might be considered the standard-of-all-standards.  However, you wisely chose to subvert expectations by making it clever, funny, and, most importantly, about a specific situation rather than a generalized relationship song.  That said, the song itself is fine; vocals are OK, though not super-strong, backing is accomplished but I don’t find the hook especially memorable.  The closing guitar lick, though, is awesome, invoking (and leading us into) the sequel.  Extra point for that.

ShyFox - Miss Sunshine
Ranking: 9 Points: 7.0
I like this better than most Killers tracks, so good job.  Perfectly fine post-80’s pop.  Nice!

Rob From Amersfoort - Have I Seen You Before?
Ranking: 10 Points: 7.0
Nicely done in Rob’s typically idiosyncratic style.  A bit slight; it doesn’t work as well as a standlone song without the sequel to support it, but charming nonetheless.

"Buckethat" Bobby Matheson - Me or Jessie
Ranking: 11 Points: 7.0
Sorry your recording equipment crapped out on you, this would have been much stronger with a full arrangement; I can kinda hear it in my head.  That’s said, it’s a good partner to the sequel, almost TOO good; (it seems really close, from what I can tell).  I quite like this, I’ll headbang to the full version if you ever do it.

Edric Haleen - Sam: The Sentient SMSC
Ranking: 12 Points: 7.0
It seems to me that Edric does not make pop music.  That’s fine, I respect his talents enormously as a musician, God knows he does what I could never do.  But if you’re going to try to walk next to Weird Al, you’ve got to be able to at least attempt to emulate his pop smarts and sharp and concise (if goofy) satiric skills.  I really respect this song as a construct; it’s impeccably crafted and performed, as usual, and the place it’s coming from is crystal-clear.  It’s got an interesting “Hamilton goes new wave” vibe.  But IMHO it’s got no groove (the sequel does, albeit via a third-hand steal), a weak melodic hook, and is way too busy lyrically, i.e., I just don’t find it funny, sorry.  But then again, I’ve tried to get chuckles out of necrophilia, so I’d just chalk it up to different tastes.  Again, much respect.

Glen Raphael - Do Ya Mess Around With Jim?
Ranking: 13 Points: 7.0
Perfectly fine.  I like the “Do ya? Do ya? Do ya?” bits.  Unfortunately, I find this another case a song that doesn’t have as strong of a reason to exist without the original, and lacks the great singalong feeling of Jim Croce’s sequel.


Sorry, shadows, no time to provide feedback for you now; I’ll get to it later this week.  Good job, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment