Time left




Saturday, April 14, 2018

ST14R1 Reviews - Tom Giarosso

My thoughts -

Hi folks! This is my fist official judging of a SpinTunes round. I’ll give you my ideas as to why I picked the way I did, and some insight on the process, but overall, I think this was a strong round of songs.

I grade highly on relistenability. I’ve had these playing in repeat in the car this week, so If I get to one, and I want to hit the skip button, it’s not going in the top ⅓. I also take into consideration it’s a song WRITING contest and not a song production one. Some of you have much better equipment than others, but polishing a turd is still a turd at the end of the day.

++Note++
Several of these songs missed the challenge. The viewpoint was specifically mentioned as first person from the writer, not the roommate. I didn’t feel this was enough for a DQ, but I did ding the rankings respectively because of it, even if I liked the song. Other judges might feel differently.

These are reviewed in the order they were on the Bandcamp LP. Dave’s got the rankings on another page.


Jordan Carroll - Unloved
I love the mood this instantly sets. You can tell it’s going to build as the strings kick in. I was expecting a twist or something changing the mood when the door opens. Instead it went back to the chorus. Strong entry, but flawed perspective..

Glen Raphael - Lazy Sunday
You hit the lazy sunday vibe with the dual guitars. Doubling the voice on the second verse adds to the comfortable feel. Overall, well done.

Micah Sommersmith - Our Arrangement
I did snicker at the over the head rhymes on your roommate's identity. Story was solid. An accordion somehow fits the bill for a song about eggs. Very enjoyable.

Edric Haleen - Bitch
This one started slow, and then kicked into a ‘Making Whoopie’ 20’s feel. Good choice. The asides within the lyrics were well done. It made me smile with the building resentment and ire.

Josh, Just Josh - Best Friend
Interesting perspective from the point of view of the roommate.I’d like to hear this with a bit more variety in the refrain. Not bad for a quick recording on a condenser mic.

Bubba and the No Longer Amiable Kraken - Floating By
A lot going on in this one. The flanging compliments the underwater theme. The twist that the sad state of the roommate is miniscule to the fact the the writer is in worse shape was quite revealing. Lush production. One of my favorites this round.

Menage a Tune - Who Needs an Alarm Clock?
Sounds like quite the inconsiderate roommate. Nice use of melodica solo and solid piano work. Interesting synths and sampled barks.

Buckethat Bobby Matheson - You Don't Do Anything But Drink
You had me scratching my head on this pet roommate. What the hell is it? I did break down and look at the summary and must say, Bravo! (Golf Claps all around).

Rob from Amersfoort - You're So Fab
Big, Fat guitar sounds and striking opening riffs. I like the Vox doubling and the flanging and instrumentation. At least your roommate gives you some comfort and satisfaction. Good use of lyrics.

Boy on the Wall - Amelia, What Are You Thinking?
Poppy synths. Nice hooky song. The trailing vox are a nice touch.Points for rhyming Blob!.

Governing Dynamics - *boop*
Nice job setting a story. Not a very nice roommate. Good groove, and I liked the imagery. Thumbs up!

Temnere - Domesticity
Monster Guitars! Soaring chorus! Love the counterpoint of the roommate having a upbeat, driving song where it’s all internally based. Loved this one.

Riker's Island - Amy
Has a nice Folk feel to it. Good use of strings in the middle. Quite the ambivalent roommate.

Heather Zink - When She's gone
Simple piano is a good complement to your voice. Liked the repeating lyrics under the 3rd verse. Would have ranked much higher with correct perspective.

Megalodon - Dignified Leisure
You made me look up ‘Otium’, and it fits the tune like a glove. Referencing ‘Kung Fu Panda’ was a nice touch. The soaring Guitar part made me smile. Nice job!

ShyFox - My Homie
Happy Guitar background riff. Wanted to learn more about the roommate, who seemed pretty cool. Liked the breakdown return. Nicely done.

Ominous Ride - Marco Polo
Piano beat really sets the moon. Fun synth solo break. Liked the tie in to the name, the game, and the wondering if your roommate will return.

Matchy Matchy - SHADOW: One of These Days
Passionate to a fault. Chorus is hooky and sticks in your brain. So, is the roommate going Postal? Love the way the music builds.

PigFarmer Jr - SHADOW: Lazy Bitch
Another roommate that doesn't pull their weight.  I did like the ocular insights I had an Iguana growing up, and they seriously don’t do much except sit there. But when they move, your heart pounds!


Thanks everyone for sending in an entry, and I’m looking forward to Round 2!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment