Time left




Saturday, April 28, 2018

ST14R2 Reviews: Tom Giarrosso

Tom Giarrosso is a founding member of the Boffo Yux Dudes, and has a long and checkered past with the music and comedy business. He’s been a Professional DJ, TV Director, and currently runs a PEG Access station in Salem NH. He also hosts the Spintunes Listening Parties. 
What qualifications this give him to judge you is up to debate, but you’re stuck with it.
+++
(These reviews are in the order the songs appeared on the album)
+++

Hi folks! This is my first official judging of a SpinTunes round. I’ll give you my ideas as to why I picked the way I did, and some insight on the process, but overall, I think this was a strong round of songs.

I grade highly on relistenability. I’ve had these playing in repeat in the car this week, so If I get to one, and I want to hit the skip button, it’s not going in the top ⅓. I also take into consideration it’s a song WRITING contest and not a song production one. Some of you have much better equipment than others, but polishing a turd is still a turd at the end of the day.

I'm out of town today, and ran out of time to review the shadows, but will add notes on them later.


Rob From Amersfoort - Have I Seen You Before?
Love the instrumentation on this song. It fit the prequel idea so well - took me a bit to figure out the song, but I think you set a great mood and it hit a lot of good points for me. 

Bubba and the No Longer Amiable Kraken - I Want You for the First Time
I knew were this was going from the opening riffs. Great use of similar but not quite the same riffs. Also liked the fact the writer forshadows he’ll be in trouble with the girl, and I laughed at the objectifying line. Well done! One of my favorites.

Temnere - Eschelon
You bring the metal once again, in a great way. Driving guitars, great beat, and a rockin tune. By the time the synths kicked in , I was hooked. I missed which song you were doing until I looked at the bandcamp site - just didn’t click, but it makes sense now. 

Boy on the Wall - Today
Interesting take on the classic Beatles tune. I wouldn’t have thought to turn it into a Newlywed game tragedy, but you pulled it off. The acoustic strums at the end were a nice touch to bring it back to the hit song. 

Glen Raphael - Do Ya Mess Around With Jim?
Fun use of a fuzzy bass guitar. I liked the vocal doubling as well. I was waiting for a honky tonk piano to kick in somewhere. I wanted this to tie in more to the hit song. Well done. 

Megalodon - Try It Once Jack 
Was that a Dm7 chord in the 2nd part of the verses? Nice catch for the ‘Dan sound.
Guitar solo hit all the right Steely Dan notes. A favorite this round.

Edric Haleen - Sam: The Sentient SMSC
Edric doing a rap? As a computer message service? What’s not to like! Good use of ethereal background tunes, integration of themes and sounds from the hit, and just being annoyed at the content put things in a fun perspective. 

Governing Dynamics - Disassembly
Travis has a unique ability to build a song, and somehow make it so you need to just listen to the song again, and it grows on you each time. Good groove. Awesome bass and guitar. Song flows well as a prequel. 

"Buckethat" Bobby Matheson - Me or Jessie
I’d love to see what you could have done with your full setup. You got the feel of the song through with the ipad, though. I also was thinking of ITC’s sequel song, and this is a great opening chapter to the trilogy. Well done!

Riker's Island - We Decide
You set an good, apprehensive mood to start this song - which fits as a nice segue into the hit song’s offbeat theme. Is that a melodica in there? Nice job pulling this all together. 

Micah Sommersmith - You Know About Me 
Great use of the horn and accordian to set the mood. Love the attitude. Awesome foreshadowing callbacks to the hit song. One of my favorites. 

ShyFox - Miss Sunshine
Good guitar riffs. I enjoyed the synth solo in the outro. The cold end would segue well with the hit. 

Jordan Carroll - When Will I Give You Up 
I knew where you were headed with the first note, and then was totally surprised with the vocal choice.
A total roll, and I’m glad you made it back into the game with the reinstatement. High on my list!

Ominous Ride - Bohemian Burden (SHADOW)
This one still makes me smile. Piano work kicks it. Love the guitar as well. The gun shot at the end caps it all.

Megalodon - 49 Ways (SHADOW) 
That drum intro set the tone - totally familiar. Love the use of the stylophone instead of the bass.
It’s amazing how many euphemisms and name rhymes you can fit into 3:35, but you had a good handful.
Made me laugh.

Menage a Tune - I Needed You (SHADOW)
TBA

Matchy Matchy - I Think You're OK (SHADOW) 
TBA

Dr. Lindyke - Empty Room (SHADOW)
TBA

Menage a Tune - The Lion Eats Today (SHADOW) 
TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment