Time left




Saturday, April 17, 2021

ST17.3 Reviews and Rankings - Jocko Homomorphism

 This round saw a lot of clever interpretations on palindromes. Palindromic tempos and verses which reverse their line orders particuarly caught my attention.


========

Also in Blue
I like the lyrical work that goes into personifying Mr Alarm. The actual alarm sound closes out the song in a sensible place since the whole piece is about the moments before waking. A fun song that doesn't wear out its welcome.

David G Harrington
This grabs me at the first line. I think the funky bass and drums are carrying a lot of that. In verse 4, "When consider the other choice" is stuffed into the meter awkwardly. You could probably cut the bridge in half since you aren't changing the lyrics or arrangement.

Sober
You've clearly put a lot of thinking into this song. I like how the line "Don't be afraid to break the mould that you were cast in" comes right as you deviate from the palindromic lyrics.

Vom Vorton
The arrangement on this piece sounds fuller than your two previous entries. I like it. The bridge goes on too long, though. I might cut out the shout part, but leave in the distant echos of the title.

Cavedwellers
I was expecting a more goofy song, given the spelling of the title. There's some excellent harmonies in here. The line "Whatsoever" comes in at a weird place. It's not quite its own line, and it's not quite part of the line before. I think it acutally wants to have more of a pause for effect. I enjoyed the reversed percussion.

Jealous Brother
This is a fine song, but I didn't find anything to really latch on to. I don't think anyone else did acrostics.

The Dutch Widows
Emphasizing the palindromes in monotone voice is a little insulting to the audience. Even outside the competition context, your lyrics directly state that you are working in palindromics. You should trust that an engaged listener will go looking for where you've put the work in.

rackwagon
The main line of the chorus is weakened due to your prononciation. It comes out sounding more like 'dance to dance to dance', and I'm left wondering if 'dust to dust to dust' would have worked better in the backup vocals, especially if it changed from one to the other over the course of the song. The reversed line is fun.

See-Man-Ski
I didn't really get the feeling of a lost loved one, like you mention in your liner notes. The lyrics sound to me like the aftermath of a more typical breakup. In the last verse, did you wish you had pulled her back from a speeding train or something? I'm not sure how being more of a friend fits in.

Good Guy Sojabe
The chorus is very strong. The part about riddles is clever, and helps motivate the palindrome structure. The rest is fairly subdued for you. The verses go on a little long.

Ominous Ride
Hey now, criticizing is my job! I do like how you break the lines differently when the lyrics reverse. The chorus is the best part, but I see this technique in your verses, too. It helps keep everything fresh.

Hot Pink Halo
This piece takes a long time to get started. It's half over by the time the lyrics come in. This song lives completely in the mid range frequencies, and I think it would benefit from some crispiness in the high end.

Jon Porobil
Oof, that chorus really drags, and that's your main palindrome. You've nailed the instrumentation for this kind of song, but your voice doesn't quite fit. Maybe try a lower register? Makes me thing of the Chili's song.

EmKayDeeBee
I am not a fan of this accent, which is integral for your whole song concept. I'd consider "moored in the lap of a palindrome" to be palindromic already, since palindrome ends with a silent e.

Megage a Tune
Good to see you're having fun.

Cybronica
I'm a sucker for reversed music. Beautiful.

All the Robots
Great!

========

Cheers,
Jocko

1 comment: