Time left




Sunday, September 29, 2024

ST23.2 Reviews and Rankings - Leonie Connellan

Here are your rankings from Leonie Connellan of Hot Pink Halo:

Stacking Theory1
My Broken Demo Tape2
Sober3
West of Vine4
cardamom seed5
Cavedwellers6
The Alleviators7
Also In Blue8
9
Siebass10
With Joe11
The Moon Bureau12
Celestial Drift13
Berkeley Social Scene14
glennny15
Profestriga16
SpinTown & Company17
The Pannacotta Army18
Governing Dynamics19
Definitely Not Secretly Glennny20
Flintsteel21
See-Man-Ski22
Boffo Yux Dudes23

Read on for Leonie's reviews!

Spintunes 23 Round 2 Reviews, Leonie


Full disclosure: I was a vocally Not A Fan of this challenge. It felt to me like something people could easily phone in. I normally rate on how good the song is, challenge be damned, but this time I’m rating some songs higher than others that I may have generally enjoyed more, because I feel they incorporated the challenge more creatively.


The Pannacotta Army - Oxford Blue


This is a lovely starter. The rhythms are enjoyable and, as always, the production is faultless. I particularly like the lyric “You drew me like clickbait / And next thing I’d subscribed”. Without any context provided, I’m not sure why you’ve chosen a very particular shade of blue as the title line. It feels deliberate, but the idea is also somewhat inscrutable. That’s totally ok, of course, but I enjoy the song enough that I want to know more! As for the challenge, it feels like it’s just been tacked on. While the scatting is enjoyable, the song could absolutely exist without it; it doesn’t add anything in particular for me except providing breathing room between the regular lyrics, which could just as easily be provided by any other instrument. I will absolutely be listening to this regularly and enjoying it, but I wanted to connect more with the challenge.


- Jibber Jabber


This is one where the challenge was really well incorporated; if you took the challenge aspect away, the song would fall apart, which is a win. The “jibber jabber” bit is really fun and the highlight of the song. I also enjoyed hearing you play with some different vocal production. Once more, the music in general is very interesting and complex, but there are things that frustrate me about the song as a whole. I think this is, in part, intrinsically tied into the way you make songs, so I don’t know how much any advice I might give will be useful. The way that you make songs, I think, makes it very difficult to build good, strong melodies. This song does pick up melodically when the “chorus” hits (“filled with alcohol”). I think the main driver that’s sending melody to the back seat are your interests in microtonality and less common timing, and those are your sonic signatures, so I don’t really know how to resolve that. Maybe listen to some old school jazz standards this week. Not experimental, instrumental jazz, but vocal centred stuff like Ella Fitzgerald or Louis Armstrong. Those songs are incredibly intricate and interesting musically and tonally, but they also have killer melodies, and it might be helpful to try and figure out how they do that. Plus, you know, you get to listen to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, which is a reward in itself. (Addendum: I haven’t been reviewing your shadows because they’re more skits than songs, but they’re pretty fun and I’ve been enjoying them.)


My Broken Demo Tape - Die Happy (Content Warning: Suicide)


There is nothing I would change about this song, except for the obvious thing where I wish you didn’t have to feel those feelings. Well done on picking up the pieces of something terrible and building it into a piece of art. Really excellent, appropriate incorporation of the challenge into the lyrics. I particularly like how some of the non-word lyrics work their way into becoming actual words that start the next verse, walking a fine line between being made up and being “real”. I think the song doesn’t necessarily need final 20 seconds of instrumental, but I also kinda like it as a bit of a breath after the vocals finish.


Profestriga - Commercial Thanatology


This is one that I like theoretically, and enjoyed on the first couple of listens, but I’m not sure how much replay value it has for me. That’s fine, but something you need to consider with the music you make. People generally want to listen to songs more than once or twice, so finding away to make the lyrics still hard hitting but less abrasive might be something you want to look into. I get being angry and upset about the state of things, but I’m also coming around to team Bono after reading his autobiography last year, and personally am trying to find ways to be more diplomatic politically, even when what I’m writing about makes me furious. Maybe in this song it could be adjusting the perspective that the song is written from, so you’re showing rather than telling. The death industry and how I will be buried is actually something that I’m genuinely interested in, so thanks for reminding me that I need to write a will soon and explicitly state in it how I want to be buried (no embalming, willow coffin in Wexford, for the record, with a tree planted that people can visit as a marker. As much as I will always be Australian, I definitely don’t want my body flown 17500km for a funeral; I would die of shame about that if I wasn’t already dead. I wanted to be cremated as a kid because I didn’t like the thought of insects crawling over me, but as I’ve got older I’ve come around to returning to the earth, thanks.) The incorporation of the challenge is subtle, but effective, so well done on creatively incorporating it.


Spintown & Company - Herobrine (Sound Of Evil)


I think the lyrics in this are great. Huge improvement over round 1. I particularly like the line “As I work my mine”. “My” followed immediately by “mine” is super fun, both simple and complex at the same time. I’m not a huge fan of the music this week. I think there is some unavoidable genre bias creeping in, which is a me problem, not a you problem, so I apologise for that. I think this would be improved for me with some fun harmonies worked in. I didn’t really understand how the challenge fit in when listening to the song the first couple of times, but after reading the bio I appreciate the concept you were going for there, and it’s an interesting and creative way of fulfilling the challenge.


The Moon Bureau - Runcible Spoon


Child me is obsessed with this song title. I had a copy of The Owl and The Pussycat that I adored, and the phrase “runcible spoon” always fascinated me. I thought it was a real thing because I didn’t understand the concept of a nonsense word when I was five, and I still find that poem incredibly charming. I really like the bridge lyric “Oh could it be that all the words and worlds are spent / I don't know what you said but I could tell just what you meant”, which feels like it could describe a lot of the songs that I love. This one doesn’t hit as well for me as your song last week, but it’s still charming and sweet. I think the thing I love most about this song is how it sounds like you’re sitting across from a runcible spoon, eating lunch. The grammatical non-clarity makes it more fantastical and sweet.



West of Vine - (Made Me Say) Woh


I do genuinely like Rip Tide, but I also LOVE this opening line. What a charming, sweet song about a terrible person. I’ve had some interactions recently where a person has been directly awful about me and my art to my face, and it’s honestly been difficult to brush that off, so this song really hit home for me lyrically. I should have just WOH-ed at the person ranting at me, but alas, I did not. When I picture that woman’s face now (or, you know, actually see her in the street) I will definitely be singing WOH-OH-WOH-OH to myself, so thank you. :)


cardamon seed - an exemplar study on how not to be a pop star


Excellent song title; very evocative and descriptive. I 100% want to listen to this song from that title alone. I have a special request, which is that you consider writing out your lyrics for the song notes with line breaks, instead of just one big paragraph. It’s a bit frustrating to try and read through them formatted that way, especially when there are no song notes that provide context as well. Musically I love this, and I also think the lyrics are very good. I don’t really know what the song is specifically about, but there are enough clues that I can try to put the puzzle together. Challenge wise, I’ve built a theory for myself, but I don’t know for sure if I’m reverse engineering a reason for the nonsense lyrics to exist, or if they’re just there to tick the challenge box. Regardless, I like this and it will definitely join the repeat listening playlist.


Stacking Theory - Deep


My one suggestion for improvement would be to EQ the lead vocal to bring in some more warmth.  The framing context of writing the lyrics with script directions is one that I really like and have used myself from time to time. I love the little touches like the word painting (panning on pan), and the way the glockenspiel-like instrument feels like sunlight hitting the rippling surface of an ocean. That bass entry at the start is lovely. The rhyme scheme is excellent, or course… The formant shift at 1:14 is *chef’s kiss*; could be a lucky coincidence, but I feel like you spent some time listening to the homework I gave Mandrake last week. I keep wanting to point out my favourite bit of lyrics but feel like I’d just be copying and pasting the whole song. I like the creative incorporation of the challenge, even if the challenge was basically “write a Stacking Theory song”. I have listened to this on repeat and will continue do so. It washes over me and I get lost in it.

 

PastedGraphic-1.png


Siebass - I Taught My Dog to Speak


For the first verse of this I was sceptical, and then the chorus hit and I was all in. It’s silly and charming and fun, and second half of the chorus in particular is delightful. Love the chime sounds. I didn’t expressly notice those when I was listening with headphones, but they caught my attention nicely just now on the room speaker. Yeah, it’s a silly joke song, but I am genuinely fond of many silly joke songs. Not everything needs to be serious, and I like something light and silly to listen to every now and again. I really like the different textures and timbres of all the dog talking. I’m not entirely sold on the chic / speak line. I kind of hate it and love it at the same time. Cut the joke at the end; you don’t need it. A finish on speak would have been perfect. Like the dog didn’t say, “The essence of comedy is a subversion of your expectations. You expect a punchline, but you are greeted by silence. That in itself is its own joy.


With Joe - Know Better Next Time


I didn’t read the bios straight away this time, and I didn’t quite grasp the perspective of the song before I read them. I wasn’t sold on the nonsense lyrics at that point; they sounded a bit like an alien language or something. Reading through, I actually think the idea is pretty clever, and I like that you ended up with very specific nonsense sounds as a result of reversing words. It could be worth thinking about differentiating the voice between the chorus and verses in some way so that it’s clearer that the chorus is from a different persons perspective. If it was my song I’d probably start with lots of layers of harmony under the chorus.


Celestial Drift - Anbesol


The approach to the challenge here is excellent. Turns out I never knew what Americans call ulcers and the words “canker sores” make me *incredibly uncomfortable*. This song is excellent and I like it because sounds and the idea, but also, because of the subject matter, I hate it somewhere deep down in my core. Good job? The abrupt ending is perfect.


Cavedwellers - Oaktown Races


I don’t know Camptown Races, so the relationship of the doo-doo-da-das is kind of lost on my unfortunately. I didn’t really pick up on the nonsense lyrics being an integral part of the idea. The lyrics are well written, but kinda go over my head. I really enjoy listening to this though, and my idiocy when it comes to understanding what is going on does not take away from that enjoyment. Musically I wouldn’t change a thing. 


Sober - Plastic Paddy


True story, my instinctual reaction to the first time hearing the “diddly diddly” bit in the chorus was to wince, and then Paddy (Falcon Artist) went right ahead and did it in his song, and I laughed out loud. This song would kill in the pubs over here. You’d get double respect, both for the playing, and the self-effacing nature of the lyrics. Yeah, there are stereotypes, but you get away with leaning into them because you’re punching down on yourself. I think I saw someone mention that they thought the instrumental part was too long. It’s not. It’s accurate and entirely appropriate.



Berkeley Social Scene - Not Doomed


Musically I like this a whole lot more than last week’s entry. I like the melodies a lot and the vocal mix feels clearer this time. I really like the backing vocals as well. Could’ve had even more backing vocals, especially in the final “we’re not doomed” verse. The challenge feels a little phoned it, so it will probably slip down my rankings a bit because of that


See-Man-Ski - Cross These Silver Linings


I like this song, but I apologise profusely for what I’m about to say: I hate the vocal tone choice. It makes the song almost unlistenable for me. I’m not sure why you decided to go that way. It’s obviously deliberate, but the song doesn’t need it, and would be way better served with your normal style of vocal. I like everything else about the song and would love to hear it with a vocal retake. Challenge wise, this is also in the pile of “phoned it in”, which is a shame. The nonsense lyrics don’t feel integral to me. They’re not unwelcome, but I can’t see any real reason for them other than checking the box.


The Alleviators - Break Through


Lyrically top notch. I relate hard to them, and it’s a clever, interesting take on the challenge. I like Beka singing against the guitar and the vocal build to the last chorus is really nice. I’d like some more musical variation. It feels a bit long as it is now, but I think if you spend some more time experimenting with this an rearranging it a bit, it will come to life without cutting any sections. I think the rhythm section is what’s feeling kind of static to me; I’d like that to ebb and flow a bit more, but overall I really like the song.


glennny - Who Am I?


Love the talk box (is it a talk box? I think it is.) Love the synths. Love the meta meta meta ness of it all. I’m a little lost on the response to the challenge. Is it the talk box? It is the whooo whooo’s before the chorus? It took me typing this out to realise it’s probably the talk box, and I’m slightly ashamed of how long that took me. The “I am possibly” section is great, and a nice gear shift, and a lovely lead into the solo. I’m not sold on the lyrical rhythms of the Jack Tripper bit; something in that bit feels not quite right. Overall, thoroughly enjoyed the song.


Also In Blue - Tenebrae


You wrote yourself into a corner by being so good last week. If you topped your round 1 song that would be a miracle, and I’ve probably been a bit unfair in my judgment of this song by comparing it to that one. The first few listens this song kind of washed over me. I’d enjoy it while it was on, but forget it fairly soon afterwards. I think it’s one that will become more appreciated as time goes on though. I really enjoy the little pickup in energy on the “clock is ticking” lyric, and the way the melody reaches on words like “stretching” and “rising”. “Where there aren’t any words” is a great way to lead into the wordless melody.


Governing Dynamics - Stay Dreaming (Plaguesong)


Either I’m losing it or there’s an inconsistency between your posted lyrics and the first verse and what ended up in the song. It’s written as “Skyward blackbird / Superstition or science”, but it sounds like you say “silence” there, then rhyme it with “silence” later in the verse. I’m not sure if this was a deliberate change or a sonic typo. I have a history of confusing “science / silent” in songs, so at this point I can’t know if I am the problem! (The other instance that comes to mind of this for me is in the song Quiet, from ‘Matilda the Musical’, which I always accidentally sing as “like science but not really scient”, which I think does actually fit perfectly…) Anyway, guitars are lovely, vibes are lovely. I’m liking the mix much more than the last round song. Not sold on the interpretation of the challenge here. It feels very much like the song could exist happily without it.


Boffo Yux Dudes - One Fine Evening at the Jazz Club


To me, this is a skit, not a song. I mean, it’s got musical elements, and you’ve put effort into being creative with the challenge, but it doesn’t have high repeat value as a song that I want to listen to. I do enjoy that it clearly sounds like Tommy G but ALSO like Shaggy; which is a trip.


Definitely Not Secretly Glennny - Scatterbrain


It’s true, trying to read through the lyrics does make my brain go zoop to a place in Rio! I don’t really have any idea what’s going on in this song, even after reading the notes, which sometimes is fine, and this is one of those sometimes. I love the way the challenge is implemented in that regard. I think that gearshift is what makes this song work for me. If it stayed the way the song started, I’d get bored after a listen or two, but the Bossa shift brings some relief and interest. I haven’t specifically done reviews of the shadows this round, as I’m short on time this week, but I also wanted to mention that I found your shadow silly and delightful.


Flintsteel - The Shape Of Things To Come


I have a problem that is entirely my problem, and it’s a huge genre bias thing where songs in this style all just sound the same to me. It’s very rare for music of this genre to really make any kind of mark on me, and I’m sorry that I can’t be more helpful with reviews and feedback in that regard. This seems like it would take a lot of effort and well made, but, for me, it makes almost no impact. I think people who enjoy this kind of thing would really love it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. Genre bias is just fine in my eyes so don't worry about it. I'm trying to connect every song I do to Minecraft, so whatever lyrical idea I get, I allow that to decide the genre. If I think hard rock or metal fits the story best, that's the direction I tell Joe to go in. I'm glad you liked the lyrics better this time around, cause I did as well. My next round shadow will also probably be rock/metal since I'm done with the lyrics & that seems most fitting to me based on the story.

    ReplyDelete